Planaria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark1092

Aquarium Advice Regular
Planaria.

I've always seen a few floating around my freshwater Betta 5g tank, and I've seen him eat a few occasionally... But recently I emptied the tank because it was leaking.

And I also decided to change the gravel to something new and exciting. So I cleaned the gravel, put it in, filled with water, the tank is all nice and fresh, new water, new gravel... I also came to the conclusion that I would kill two birds with one stone by emptying the tank (fix the leak, kill off all the planaria).

So I let all the sediment from the new gravel settle... Turn on the light... And what do I see? Planaria. Little miniscule wriggly worms moving through the water by means of the filter (they can't swim can they). There's a fair few I might add.

My question is: How on earth is there STILL planaria in the tank after the tank has now been emptied, dried, had new water put in it AND new gravel. I stopped feeding the betta fish every second day to combat this problem. I can't seem to shake the planaria.

Thank-you,
Mark.

Possibly they survived in your filter media? You didn't mention it, but I assume you put the same filter media back in. My sister had a battle with these, and she finally wiped them out with salt, quick cure, and daily gravel cleaning for MANY days. I understand also that they can not survive without a food source, so maybe if you cleaned the tank again, and relocated the beta for a week or so?

Yeah I put the same filter media back in. Well there's no food in there at the moment, because it's cycling without any fish, so a lot of them will probably die off I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom