Planned Power Outage- Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Starka

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have six tanks running right now. Just got a notice saying the power will be off for 6 hours tomorrw.
I think my fish will be ok? Just kinda worried, that they won't make it. I know they can last for a couple of hours, but can they make it that long? Is there anything, besides taking them out, to help?
Thanks everyone!

I once forgot to turn the filters back on after feeding for 15 hours. No water movement at all and no heating. I didn't lose any at all. Also, if they are planted, remember that plants will oxygenate the water!

you can check with your lfs to see if they have battery operated air pumps, I know you can find them online but don't know if they'll ship before your outage

All tanks have plants, kinda forgot about that :p
It is good to know that there is a chance they'll make it.

I was just at the lfs and they didn't have any battery operated ones. Got more plants for the tanks though....I am going to be a wreck tomorrow. :(

I have to agree- you will be fine!! Our last 'planned 6hr outage' only lasted 2hrs. It is a good opportunity though to plan in the event of a future outage. 6hrs is not a big deal but 3 or 4 days is. Just make sure your media stays wet when the filters are off- you may need to move stuff into the tank or bucket of tank water. :)

Instead of the lfs for battery operated pumps try a local tackle shop. They usually have them for minnow buckets or other live bait. Do NOT go for the cheap battery operated pump by tsunami. I run a tackle business and refuse to distribute them anymore.

Thanks everyone! I so needed those confirmations.
I will look into getting those battery powered pumps. Working from 8 to 5 doesn't give you much time, but it isnt often the power goes out where I live, unless a turkey flys into the line.
Just kinda wish they gave me more of a warning. :/
Hope everything will go well and fast. :)
Thanks Again!

Good luck! IMO I wouldn't buy the pumps. PRICEY!!!!! However, for piece of
Mind maybe it will be worth it. Do you have a generator? (me and my stupid questions!)

If t eases your mind more, I was without power for about 5 hours unexpectedly this past week. My Goldies held up just fine! I understand because I was worried as well.

Readingexcalibur said:
Good luck! IMO I wouldn't buy the pumps. PRICEY!!!!! However, for piece of
Mind maybe it will be worth it. Do you have a generator? (me and my stupid questions!)

Thanks! I won't know what has happened until I get home....in another 5 hours :(
No generators here, looked up the cheapest pumps and were $9, to get six it would be $50. That would be a bit pricy. I have the mattress pumps might see if I could do something with that......or get the neighbors kids and have them blow air in the tank ;)

Starka said:
Thanks! I won't know what has happened until I get home....in another 5 hours :(
No generators here, looked up the cheapest pumps and were $9, to get six it would be $50. That would be a bit pricy. I have the mattress pumps might see if I could do something with that......or get the neighbors kids and have them blow air in the tank ;)

Ha! That is a plan none of us thought of! Let us know how it turns out!

RDerrick said:
Instead of the lfs for battery operated pumps try a local tackle shop. They usually have them for minnow buckets or other live bait. Do NOT go for the cheap battery operated pump by tsunami. I run a tackle business and refuse to distribute them anymore.

I love the battery operated pumps!! I should pick up one for my fish.

Well, it looks like everyone made it, though now my guppies are now gasping at the top of the tank. *Sigh
So now just have to figure why.
Thanks everyone for your help and reassurance!

Well... it's probably from a lack of surface agitation. Plants don't really do much photosynthesizing when they don't have lights on them...

mfdrookie516 said:
Well... it's probably from a lack of surface agitation. Plants don't really do much photosynthesizing when they don't have lights on them...

Ya maybe, its just kinda odd. Its the most heavly panted tank I have. They ate so I guess they aren't too bad. Just wait and see. Tested and everything is normal 0 0 10. Just wait and see I suppose.

Unless you have it in a naturally well lit room (and even then, it would be a stretch if it's not getting direct sunlight), the plants made no difference at all.

The air pump is going in it now, should I turn the light off so its not as stressful or just keep it on till I get back?

Back
Top Bottom