Planning a diy tank stand (need builders advice)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fellfrosch

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I've been designing my dream tank (that would fit in my current house). It's a 120g that's 48" x 24" x 24". I currently have a 55g (48 x 15.5 x 17) in the spot where I'd put the 120g (when i can afford the glass to make it).

I've done basic stand designs utilizing different diy projects all over. The frame of the stand would be built like this one, minus the bow part of the top, and 2 more cross beams on the top under the ply.

My only question is if i build the stand for the 120g, could i put the 55g on that stand even though it's 8.5" less deep (front to back) since the ply is supported allover underneath?

I'm asking this question as i just found out my 55g is leaking somewhere near the bottom corner seam (drips like one drop every 10-30 minutes). Looking everywhere for a tank that's at least 55g and not longer than 48", I've found a store selling new 60g Visio glass tanks for $65, but researching those tanks says they are only 13" deep (front to back) so that would leave the back of the tank 11" from the back support... Looks wise i could stand this as my filter takes up a good 4-5" behind the tank, but i just want to make sure the stand could stability support the weight not directly on the back beam...

I really want to build this stand, but i don't want it taking up garage space for 1-2 years... If it wont work as i've described, any suggestions how i could make it work?

Also, in advance, Thanks for the replies.

You could line up the extra 2 cross beams to fit right under where your 55g will be. As long as the beams are supported(not just nailed onto the frame) should be fine.

Maybe you can show us a sketch up of what your talking about:)

You could line up the extra 2 cross beams to fit right under where your 55g will be. As long as the beams are supported(not just nailed onto the frame) should be fine.

Maybe you can show us a sketch up of what your talking about:)

I'll try to make some rough sketches as soon as i can. Wife got me sick, and the next couple of days I'm going to be busy helping her setup a murder mystery dinner at her friends house.

Also, thanks for your reply =-)

Back
Top Bottom