Planning to get a 125g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishieKeeper429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Right now I have a 10g tank and I plan on upgrading to a 125g by next year. I'm not sure what fish to get. I need advice to see what fish go with what and what fish can fit in a 125. :) thanks!

Just about anything.. The options are too immense to give a general suggestion. I might recommend a cichlid tank since those are soo popular. Just look at some fish that you like and pick a specific direction you want the tank to go in. We can move along from there :)

Just about anything.. The options are too immense to give a general suggestion. I might recommend a cichlid tank since those are soo popular. Just look at some fish that you like and pick a specific direction you want the tank to go in. We can move along from there :)

Well, I was thinking maybe some red tailed sharks and a pleco but what else? Could I get like 3 red tailed sharks, a bulldog pleco, maybe 2 Dalmatian mollies and maybe a few tiger barbs OR glass catfish? What do you think is the maximum I could get?

Red tailed sharks are bastards of the fish world. You can really only keep 1 of them in a tank and you definitely can't keep them with the more docile community fish like mollies.

In a 125 you have a huge range of possibilities from oscars to neon tetras. If you want a community tank I would do something along the lines of
2- Angelfish
2 Bristlenose or bulldog plecos
1- Red Tailed Shark
10- Glass Catfish
10- Blue Columbian Tetras
10- Cherry barbs
6- female platys of your choice
2- Male platys of your choice

This type of stock has worked for me with a red tailed shark mine had about 4 caves and with that much cover he caused no problems at all. He was actually really peaceful towards even platys he only hated Serpae tetras.

I have to give you a cichlid type choice to haha I love them.

I would do

1- Tiger Oscar
1- Severum
1- Featherfin Catfish or Royal Pleco
4- Silver dollars

I have to give you a cichlid type choice to haha I love them.

I would do

1- Tiger Oscar
1- Severum
1- Featherfin Catfish or Royal Pleco
4- Silver dollars

That is a good stock..could do a wide range of SA cichlids..I would do a few bigger fish if I were you than a community tank ..that's just me though.

In a 125 you have a huge range of possibilities from oscars to neon tetras. If you want a community tank I would do something along the lines of
2- Angelfish
2 Bristlenose or bulldog plecos
1- Red Tailed Shark
10- Glass Catfish
10- Blue Columbian Tetras
10- Cherry barbs
6- female platys of your choice
2- Male platys of your choice

This type of stock has worked for me with a red tailed shark mine had about 4 caves and with that much cover he caused no problems at all. He was actually really peaceful towards even platys he only hated Serpae tetras.

I like this setup. I think I'm going to go with this, it has all the types of fish I was thinking about and want. THANKS!!!!

THat would look awesome in your 125 I hope it all works out well for you!

THat would look awesome in your 125 I hope it all works out well for you!

Thanks! I have the finalized list here:
2- koi angelfish
1- bulldog pleco
5- clown loaches
10- glass catfish
10- cardinal tetra
10- blue tetra
5- Denison barbs
Then I will have some extra space for some spur of the moment fish buying.

I've always wanted clown loaches. Maybe once I get my 300g reef set up I will dedicate some funds to starting a tank big enough for a shoal of them.

Back
Top Bottom