plant bulb help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxwolfpackof1xx

Aquarium Advice Addict
i have a 15 gallon with some elodia and hopefully a moss ball and amzon sword when i get the money.
all my tank has is normal bulbs that came with the kit there 15w each do i really need special bulbs also is there anything i can do to benefit the plants growth

If your new to the plant hobby I would go with very low light pplants there are some anubias plants that have been growing for months in my tank and all I have is florecent bulbs your gunna start spending money if you have to do ferts and CO2

medic747 said:
If your new to the plant hobby I would go with very low light pplants there are some anubias plants that have been growing for months in my tank and all I have is florecent bulbs your gunna start spending money if you have to do ferts and CO2

are the plants i have ok? and im on a tight budget im only 14 but i love live plants they look amazing and offer more oxygen but im sure youve know that

If you have access to the internet they sell some really cheap plants online and what kind of bulbs do you have are they florecent? Or just a normal bulb?

Aquariumplants.com is a good site you can buy from they have good info too. Even a low light plant section and if you want to do it cheap check it out.

medic747 said:
If you have access to the internet they sell some really cheap plants online and what kind of bulbs do you have are they florecent? Or just a normal bulb?

im assuming normal bulb they came with the topfiin 15g starter sold at petsmart

I would switch to a florecent hood for sure and see how your plants do!! That is if your budget can afford it.

If the fixture is for a standard bulb you would need a new hood that fits florecent bulbs

Are the bulbs screw in incandescent bulbs?

You don't have to buy a whole new hood if this is the case. You could switch to some screw in compact florescent bulbs (those goofy looking curly q type bulbs)... this would be much much better for growing plants. Incandescent lighting isn't good for growing plants.

fort384 said:
Are the bulbs screw in incandescent bulbs?

You don't have to buy a whole new hood if this is the case. You could switch to some screw in compact florescent bulbs (those goofy looking curly q type bulbs)... this would be much much better for growing plants. Incandescent lighting isn't good for growing plants.

yeah there screw in incandescent bulbs

There is probably not much you can do with 15W incandescent bulbs. a Pair of CFLs to replace them would be less than $15.

fort384 said:
There is probably not much you can do with 15W incandescent bulbs. a Pair of CFLs to replace them would be less than $15.

perfect for my budget where can i buy them i dnt think petsmart has them are they the same ones that places like target or Walmart sell

yup, exactly. Walmart, home depot, lowes, etc. You want the ones that say "daylight" or "natural daylight". They have the proper color temperature for growing plants.

fort384 said:
yup, exactly. Walmart, home depot, lowes, etc. You want the ones that say "daylight" or "natural daylight". They have the proper color temperature for growing plants.

nice i actual think i have a spare layin aroud is there anything i can do meds or anything to help my plants and also will they produce more heat than the incandescent lights

cool. The color temp is important though. You want the daylight ones... 6500K-10000K. These will really do well over a small tank like yours... more than adequate to grow low light plants.

I didn't read the rest :)

They should produce less heat, not more.

I don't think you will need to worry about fertilizer just yet. Take it slow and see how the low light plants behave. Messing with ferts effects water chemistry... If the plants do ok without it no sense paying for it or messing with it.

Back
Top Bottom