Plant dead?!? PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jhawk__

Aquarium Advice Addict
I put a small plant in my 2.5 gallon nursery tank so that the fry could hide in it and nibble on the pines. I took it out today and it fell into 3 pieces. I did t rip it either. I don't think my light in my hood is powerful enough to keep it alive. Is it dead? There are also a few brown spots on it. Should I just throw it away?

I put a small plant in my 2.5 gallon nursery tank so that the fry could hide in it and nibble on the pines. I took it out today and it fell into 3 pieces. I did t rip it either. I don't think my light in my hood is powerful enough to keep it alive. Is it dead? There are also a few brown spots on it. Should I just throw it away?

Did you buy it from Petsmart or Pecto? The plants they sell there aren't grown in water, so when you put them in water the go through a melting period. The new leaves that grow should be fine.

Did you buy it from Petsmart or Pecto? The plants they sell there aren't grown in water, so when you put them in water the go through a melting period. The new leaves that grow should be fine.

Yes I got it from Petco. I through one away but kept two of the pieces that were left, I didn't plant them either though, they are just kinda floating at the moment, I don't have deep enough substrate to plant them. Is that bad for them?

what kind of light are you using?

I have no clue to be honest. It came in the kit that I got with the 2.5 gallon, I figure it's just some cheap one. It barely lights the whole tank.

Well, can you post photos? A picture of the plant and your lighting would be helpful.

But more than likely your light is not suitable for plants and also your plant is probably not a submersible plant.

Yes, the proper substrate is also very important for plants, but is only one small part of many to have a healthy planted tank.

In addition to lighting and substrate, you may also be lacking CO2 and fertilizers. There are many helpful articles about starting your first planted tank in the 'Articles' section of this website.

Okay thanks! I'm thinking I'm jus gonna toss the plant and throw a plastic one in there for now. Much less Maintenance and I think that tank is to small anyway for a plant.

Back
Top Bottom