Plant grow out tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does this secret weapon involve fire or explosives? Because personally, i'm out of ideas otherwise
Sacrifices to the algae gods.
Actually its just a tiny bit more of potassium nitrate added to the problem tank. The amount is not established yet, just need to experiment with doses.
I use 1/8 tsp. in a 125 once or twice a week. It helps the plants uptake nutrients more efficiently I believe. Really not sure why it works, but just glad it does.

Sacrifices to the algae gods.
Actually its just a tiny bit more of potassium nitrate added to the problem tank. The amount is not established yet, just need to experiment with doses.
I use 1/8 tsp. in a 125 once or twice a week. It helps the plants uptake nutrients more efficiently I believe. Really not sure why it works, but just glad it does.

I've sacrificed quite a few strands of hair to the algae gods already... lol My next investment is going to be pressurized co2 to see if that solves the issue

LOL!!! You and me both brother. Also lots of Staghorn, BBA, thread and a couple unknown varieties:facepalm:
Adding pressurized co2 made a HUGE difference in my tanks. The plants exploded with growth in a very short tome. The colors of the plants improved drastically also. Most of the algae disappeared in about months time after adding co2. I did have to drastically increase the fert dosing amounts.
I have a pressurized co2 unit on both the 125's, and one on my plant grow out tanks. I use a 6 way splitter on the grow outs, works very well.
You won't be sorry if you add it I'm sure.

I've sacrificed quite a few strands of hair to the algae gods already... lol My next investment is going to be pressurized co2 to see if that solves the issue

I started something awhile back... I was reaching different ways and things hobbyist use to combat algae. When I added CO2 and more light to my 220g I started having algae problems and I hadn't had any algae in that tank in over a year. My balanced tank got all out of wack with those additions hence I began researching. I ran across a few articles and posts (one was by Tom Barr) that talked very loosely about increasing potassium levels which helped plants uptake of phosphates and from what I read nitrates thereby giving plants an advantage of using the ferts up more efficiently over the algae.

I began playing with potassium sulfate and talking to David a lot since we talk several times a week. As I began getting some results he joined in my experimenting and we've both gotten decent results. What I did in the beginning was to actually take about a teaspoon of potassium and dissolved it in 2 cups of tank water. Then I used my 100ml syringe and squirted this solution on the algae around the tank. I did the same thing the next day. Then I watched. What I began seeing over the next few days was a change in the thread algae. It got thinner, more wispy, and lost some color but it didn't die. I continued this for 3 weeks or so cut my micros back which I had increased and then began dry dosing the extra potassium weekly. I didn't change anything but decreased micro's and did the extra potassium. It has worked but since I'm not a chemist so I really don't have an explanation but it's worked for David as well. So it's something to think about trying.

I started something awhile back... I was reaching different ways and things hobbyist use to combat algae. When I added CO2 and more light to my 220g I started having algae problems and I hadn't had any algae in that tank in over a year. My balanced tank got all out of wack with those additions hence I began researching. I ran across a few articles and posts (one was by Tom Barr) that talked very loosely about increasing potassium levels which helped plants uptake of phosphates and from what I read nitrates thereby giving plants an advantage of using the ferts up more efficiently over the algae.

I began playing with potassium sulfate and talking to David a lot since we talk several times a week. As I began getting some results he joined in my experimenting and we've both gotten decent results. What I did in the beginning was to actually take about a teaspoon of potassium and dissolved it in 2 cups of tank water. Then I used my 100ml syringe and squirted this solution on the algae around the tank. I did the same thing the next day. Then I watched. What I began seeing over the next few days was a change in the thread algae. It got thinner, more wispy, and lost some color but it didn't die. I continued this for 3 weeks or so cut my micros back which I had increased and then began dry dosing the extra potassium weekly. I didn't change anything but decreased micro's and did the extra potassium. It has worked but since I'm not a chemist so I really don't have an explanation but it's worked for David as well. So it's something to think about trying.
Rivercats is my hero. LOL With her advanced knowledge of planted tanks she experimented and found another tool in our arsenal against algae. I can verify that it does work well. We had to use different amounts of potassium in each of our tanks to achieve our goals. So if anyone tries Janis's method, you will need to keep adjusting the amount used until you achieve the desired result.
I can't express my gratitude in words how much I appreciate Rivercats efforts, and advice, and patience in the algae war. We have had many conversations about different techniques to get rid of algae.LOL

I don't know what is going wrong in my 10g planted honestly. Some plants are growing absurdly fast while others like my rotala rotundifolia and amazon swords haven't grown at all in weeks also, my myrio filligree is both growing algae and picking up detritus which in an of itself is annoying as heck. That coupled with some pretty bad algae growth is frustrating. Thankfully I have a very successful 55g planted tank to keep me happy.

Sorry about trying to thread jack you though :)

I don't know what is going wrong in my 10g planted honestly. Some plants are growing absurdly fast while others like my rotala rotundifolia and amazon swords haven't grown at all in weeks.

Same here. It could be my lighting though. I'm hoping to get a new one this weekend.

I don't know what is going wrong in my 10g planted honestly. Some plants are growing absurdly fast while others like my rotala rotundifolia and amazon swords haven't grown at all in weeks also, my myrio filligree is both growing algae and picking up detritus which in an of itself is annoying as heck. That coupled with some pretty bad algae growth is frustrating. Thankfully I have a very successful 55g planted tank to keep me happy.

Sorry about trying to thread jack you though :)
I've found that the Rotala need more light. Mine were growing fairly slow until I added more light. The Swords need root tabs to really flourish.
Are you adding and type of carbon source to the tank, such as CO2 or Excel. Are you using ferts?
What type of lighting are you using?
There is some imbalance causing the algae.

I've found that the Rotala need more light. Mine were growing fairly slow until I added more light. The Swords need root tabs to really flourish.
Are you adding and type of carbon source to the tank, such as CO2 or Excel. Are you using ferts?
What type of lighting are you using?
There is some imbalance causing the algae.

I have a diy light fixture giving me high - very high light.

Daily dosing of glut. 8ml in a 10g

Daily ei dosing.

7 hours a sway of light.

I have a diy light fixture giving me high - very high light.

Daily dosing of glut. 8ml in a 10g

Daily ei dosing.

7 hours a sway of light.

The problem you have could actually be too high light and not enough carbon/CO2. When I added the Led fixture onto the 220g that already had T5HO and metal halide lighting I knew that it would push me to the very very high light range and I also knew I was maxed out on my daily dose of Glut which was 9 ounces for 220g. I knew I was maxed out because adding any more, even a little caused clouding for a day which is the sign your tank water is overdosed with it's max amount of Glut. So I actually had to add pressurized CO2. It was either that or not use the new Led.

You could up your Glut by about 3ml more and raise your light fixture, then cut lighting down to 5 or 6 hours and slowly get the algae under control. Or you might seriously have to consider add CO2 to the tank. Light can be our best friend or worst enemy.

The problem you have could actually be too high light and not enough carbon/CO2. When I added the Led fixture onto the 220g that already had T5HO and metal halide lighting I knew that it would push me to the very very high light range and I also knew I was maxed out on my daily dose of Glut which was 9 ounces for 220g. I knew I was maxed out because adding any more, even a little caused clouding for a day which is the sign your tank water is overdosed with it's max amount of Glut. So I actually had to add pressurized CO2. It was either that or not use the new Led.

You could up your Glut by about 3ml more and raise your light fixture, then cut lighting down to 5 or 6 hours and slowly get the algae under control. Or you might seriously have to consider add CO2 to the tank. Light can be our best friend or worst enemy.

yeah, co2 is my next investment for the tank. I'll be doing a small diy pressurized setup

yeah, co2 is my next investment for the tank. I'll be doing a small diy pressurized setup

You could still run into algae issues, just warning you. I added the CO2, still use the Glut daily, and found I can only run the Led for 4 hours at 100% or 5-6 hours at a lower 50-75% level. I also increased my potassium. This is the only was I don't get algae in a tank that was algae free for well over a year until I added too much light.

Cats beat me to it. LOL I was going to suggest some of the same things.
She taught me well, now she has to deal with me giving out advice;)

Back
Top Bottom