Plant growth on coral and rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cerulean_blue

Aquarium Advice Activist
All -
Recently I started to notice a spread of what looks like a plant. It is on a rock that my mushrooms are growing on and it is growing on my polyps. I noticed that my polyps did not open at all today and the mushrooms are a bit smaller. I don't think this is an aiptasia as when I put a needle by it and shoot some lemon juice it doesn't react. What do you guys think? (I'm referring to those green little things)
GXOI8.jpg

Pu8xy.jpg

Looks like bryopsis (hair algae) which is a result of high nutrients in the water usually which can be solved through water changes and gfo

hm ok, thanks! I did a water change and I've also read beefing up CUC is a good idea.

blue leg hermits will clean it up

Ironically I just figured out by blue hermits picked at and ate some of the polyps! I'm wondering if they were picking at it because of that algae. Either way, I think I'm going to get rid of the hermits, snails and 1 starfish is plenty of a CUC for me.

cerulean_blue said:
Ironically I just figured out by blue hermits picked at and ate some of the polyps! I'm wondering if they were picking at it because of that algae. Either way, I think I'm going to get rid of the hermits, snails and 1 starfish is plenty of a CUC for me.

Hermits are very unlikely to eat polyps.. more then likely picking at the algae but there are some instances that hermits have eaten polyps but that's just due to not enough food

Back
Top Bottom