plant hunt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Actually, I have never seen anything but the tall stem-type (cabomba), the tall grassy type (swords), or tall-leafed type plants. All the LFS's around here tend not to sell many plants at all.

Darn... you mean it actually takes work?? :eek:
How do people do that then? A pair of scissors under water, or just fingers?

I need to invent an underwater lawnmower...

Bug,
You use long, curved, very very sharp scissors designed for it. Amano sells his for $95 US, but if you do a search for planted tank tools, you'll find what I mean. In any case, keep them away from the kiddies, as they are scalpel sharp; enough to cut a finger to the bone.
Isn't a lot of work, and if you want to just do the jungle look, have at it. I trim every couple weeks, purely because I have a lot of light and 30 ppm Co2. You might have to trim once a month or once a week, depending on the plant.
Using the fingers tends to crush the stems, causing necropsy of the stem and possible death to the plant. And they are little bitty leaves and stems of those little substrate plants, so you'd need the precision of the scissors to do it properly anyway.

Dave

Back
Top Bottom