plant id (lfs tricked me again)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hippy guy

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I was sold amazon sword, an anubias, and something else. What are these?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110716_232008.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_232008.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 174
  • ForumRunner_20110716_232542.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_232542.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 178
  • ForumRunner_20110716_232617.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110716_232617.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 179
The one on the far right is java fern. Next to it is anubias, the other too not sure. I'm also moving the anubias further back to reduce light intensity

The one in the middle is an anubias? Never seen one like that. If so, the rhizome needs to be uncovered. In the back left looks like a val or crypt, hard so say. The one in the front... no clue. Almost makes me want to say banana plant, but I can't see it good enough, and I've never kept them.

I uncovered the rhizome right after taking that pic. And the lable said anubias b. Hmm, more google search time haha

Yesyes, that's the one. The one in the front left was in a potted thingy, I guess do all plants have rizomes, or just ones that don't get most nutrients from the roots?

Not all plants have them. Anubias and java ferns are the two main rhizome plants. I'm honestly not sure what other plants have them, if any. Most plants don't get nutrients from their root system. Swords are the biggest root feeders, crypts do to an extent. Usually, plants with the big huge root systems are the root feeders. The rest are just there mainly as an anchor.

No idea either, but that runner concerns me on the plant in the front left. My first guess would be non-aquatic... but I very easily could be wrong. Not sure on the back left either. The leaves look very waxy, which is also not a good sign for it to be aquatic. I don't see a sword in those pics.

Yeah no swords, I was tricked lol. I guess well see in due time if they are or not, but I've learned my lesson to do more research before I snag plants :/

For sure. That's why getting them from other hobbyists is usually the best bet. All the plants I have were purchased from other hobbyists, either locally or from here.

I am assuming Lexvegas = Lexington, which means you should definitely hit Rookie up for some plants. I am pretty sure he has about every plant that I, jetajockey, crepe, and a few others have all in his tanks. He might even cut you a deal... ;)

Wow that's for the lookout, and yeah lexvegas is lexington haha I got a tiker today for the lights.. 6 bucks :)
It has 2 ons, and 2 offs. But I can add more. I was going to go with mfdookie on my schedual, and do a 8am to noon on, off again till 4 pm, then back on till 10:30. (I figure ill keep it on an extra hour at first, as I want to see some algea growth for shrimps to munch)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110717_174253.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110717_174253.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 74
Actually, I'm betting that mystery plant with the runner is a sword. Possibly a Broad-leaved Dwarf Amazon Sword. Those do produce runners if the plant is healthy.

E198.jpg

Echinodorus Quadricostatus
Broad-leaved Dwarf Amazon Sword

South America
Characteristics:Rosette plant with lanceolate leaves on petioles. This plant has characteristic light-green leaves which form a good contrast to the darker aquarium plants. It is most beautiful when planted in groups. In good conditions it produces runners which spread over the bottom. Growth is more compact when planted in a pot or between stones or other objects.

Back
Top Bottom