Plant ID pla

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Your Plant ID'd

What conditions do they thrive ine

Good morning Shane...

I'm not an authority on plants, but it looks similar to some of my Amazon swords. Possibly a "Melon Sword". Most prefer medium to strong light. If you have a couple of watts of light per gallon of tank volume, you'll be able to grow most aquatic plants. 6500 K bulbs work well.

IMO, if you're going to have success with plants, do three things: Match the right plant with the right lighting, have a lot of fish in the tank and replace at least half the tank water every week.

B

This appears to be an amazon sword. Melons usually have a slightly rounder tip.

If so, this plant needs moderate lighting and iron-rich fertilizers and substrate to flourish. I recommend T5HO lights in the 5000 - 6700 degree K range (full spectrum lights) with an average of 2-3 watts per gallon to encourage plant growth.

However, be aware of the needs of the other plants as well. If you have some that require more or less lighting, then I would try to moderate it out to the point where all of their needs are met. For example, if you have a low-light plant with the moderate light plants, I would lean more toward the lower end of the moderate scale. If you have high-light plants then I would go more towards the higher end.

BTW... Nice plants!

The stem structure doesn't look very swordy does it? Aren't swords more bulby and less stem? It almost looks like a hygrophila sp. Grown in low light.

They look identical to the ones I had...
img_1667330_0_2976a277f9dea3d69dbaae31a1c9cdd7.jpg

Definitely in bad shape in the pic, but you get the idea.

Now, in regards to the less stem part... amazon swords are:

img_1667330_1_1da5df5efb799f9af4793490360d4c59.jpg

This one also got too big for my 125.

Right. The leaf structure looks the same, but the leaves are branching off of a stem rather than exploding out of the substrate. Do swords usually do that?

I guess it depends on how they're planted. The deeper they are, the less 'bulbed' they look. I always planted mine pretty deep and it looked like individual stems rather than one big bunch coming from the same 'bulb'. It's hard to see that in the pic since those were my first and I was only a month in to my first real planted tank at the time. Unfortunately, I don't have any more recent pics to show what I mean.

Back
Top Bottom