Plant ID Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WBAC88

Aquarium Advice Activist
So, I bought a bunch of random low light plants to stock my tank with, planning to let them grow and see what I liked. I've recently upgraded my lighting and started adding some Flourish and things have really taken off. This plant has been right in the front of my tank the whole time, and recently put out this sprout that I thought was just another leaf at first, until it kept growing and growing. It's probably 6 inches tall at this point. Can someone tell me what this is so I can tell what it's doing? (The one right in front. Sorry for the poor picture, but you can see my new Bolivian ram in the background!)

39633-albums2748-picture18039.jpg

That Is a banana plant, and the stem coming up will be like a lily pad when it reaches the surface. Don't cut it and be careful not to brake the stem!
Also uncover the bottom of the plant a little, so it's 1/4 in. Under.

FreshwaterTropical said:
That Is a banana plant, and the stem coming up will be like a lily pad when it reaches the surface. Don't cut it and be careful not to brake the stem!
Also uncover the bottom of the plant a little, so it's 1/4 in. Under.

Ah, very cool, thanks. What exactly should be showing there when it's uncovered?

Agree with banana plant. Yours looks very nice! :)

I believe that you can trim off the long shoots to make the leaves grow low and compact, or you can just let it do its thing and have the "lilypad" looking leaves at the surface. It's just a matter of your preference.

My tank is a 65g one and (I don't know the exact measurements, being at work) has got to be at least 24-30 inches tall. Would the plant be able to reach a runner up that far? And would it be very likely to break when I do a PWC? Might be worth it to trim and keep it bushier?

WBAC88 said:
My tank is a 65g one and (I don't know the exact measurements, being at work) has got to be at least 24-30 inches tall. Would the plant be able to reach a runner up that far? And would it be very likely to break when I do a PWC? Might be worth it to trim and keep it bushier?

It will defiantly reach, and it will fairly quickly too!

Back
Top Bottom