Plant ID / Rate my tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What type of the plant is the first shown? EDIT-Oh sorry I read right over that. It's nice tho.

Anyone have any comments? ...

I'm bad with numbers but I will provide comments. Very natural; I like the materials used and the "island oasis" effect in the desert (not sure if that is what you were going for). The plants in pics 1 & 2 look like a species of hygrophilia. Try raising the water level to the lower edge of the rim. I am OCD about that but it prevents the shine from the light. Btw is that a CFL bulb in a dome style lamp? Take pics at night to reduce background glare.

You could always add a second CFL clamp on fixture as needed; I picked up a pair with 13w bulbs for $20-25.
An Amano shrimp will do a decent job turning over the top layer of sand as u grazes for algae. If you are not opposed to snails then netrites or Malaysian trumpets snails might be an option; both have their pluses and minuses.
Another relatively fast growing easy plant is Bacopa caroliniana. That would look nice as a background plant behind the island.

I have 3 lamps, but they have like office bulbs so I'm hesitant on using them...

Also I'm getting more neons, rummies, and also getting a breeding pair of GBR this Friday! (ordered them). Would the rams eat the shrimp? I have 5 cories, always hiding x)

Will the GBR be OK in my tank? My tank is 2 ish months old, and my rummy's nose are bright, bright red.

Rams eat shrimp.

I dont t think the rams will do that great in your tank as they like cover and heavy planted environments.

Your tank looks super bare and lacks dept. You should add more plants and more hardscape.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Rams eat shrimp.

I dont t think the rams will do that great in your tank as they like cover and heavy planted environments.

Your tank looks super bare and lacks dept. You should add more plants and more hardscape.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh. Well, I do I have a BUNCH of rocks and such. I've already ordered the rams, but I've got some java moss, infinite rocks (live by a creek), and a huge thing of java fern (lace)ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401037523.465942.jpg

I have 3 lamps, but they have like office bulbs so I'm hesitant on using them...

Can you describe the bulbs? Are the round/oval shaped? U-shaped? If they are regular incandescent bulbs then you can swap them out with the twisty shaped CFLs.

They are all CFL (The twisty ones)

Okay. The bulbs themselves might list the wattage and color temperature. Home Depot, Lowes and other stores carries the 13w and 23w 6500k CFLs. The size/depth of the dome will dictate which ones you can use. I've found that with the 5.5" clamp on dome lamp that the 13w bulbs were fine but the 23w bulbs were too big. With the 8.5" domes either bulb fits fine.

K. Got pics!ImageUploadedByTapatalk1401156734.513447.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1401156752.761015.jpg sorry if they aren't too good... Just got home for 3 hour drive ugh [emoji19]

Back
Top Bottom