plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mom2reds

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have had this plant for a long time started out with it in a ten gallon tank three years ago it just survives but does not really grow much I don't know what it is. The green one in the back is the one I am talking about.

Attachments

• 100_0126.jpg
    100_0126.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 65
I have had this plant for a long time started out with it in a ten gallon tank three years ago it just survives but does not really grow much I don't know what it is. The green one in the back is the one I am talking about.
some kind of sword? i think...

how much light do you have? ferts? CO2

if it is a sword you probaly need atleat 1.5-2 wpg, nutrient rich substrate and some ferts to get it to grow good.

I do not have very good lights just standard strip light with 20 watt bulbs and then I threw the ligh of my ten on there in the middle of the tank and it has two 10 watt bulbs in it to make the tank a little brighter. I am saving for better lights hopefully with income taxes. I also don't use ferts. thanks for your reply.

I do not have very good lights just standard strip light with 20 watt bulbs and then I threw the ligh of my ten on there in the middle of the tank and it has two 10 watt bulbs in it to make the tank a little brighter. I am saving for better lights hopefully with income taxes. I also don't use ferts. thanks for your reply.
if that is a sword then you are JUST giving it enough light to live, but not to really grow :bowl:

Can you take it out and take a pic of its root system? The leaf structure is similar to Aponogeton's as well.

Edit: I see that it does not really grow so it is definitely a sword :).

I agree with JDogg on it being a sword. Since it's really not growing, I can't give you the exact name.

It looks to be something along the lines of a Echinodorus bleheri or Echinodorus amazonicus. If it is fully grown, then it would be a Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta'.

Again, it is in ruff shape. Not only are sword species hard to identify, this one is even harder.

I also wanted to mention that you have it planted correctly. Not many people know how to plant them. IE keeping the crown above the substrate.

BTW are you feeding the roots of the sword? as they are big root feeders. Not to mention, or should I say repeat, that they need atleast 2 WPG. Possible less if you are running CO2.

thanks rkilling1 I think I got how to plant it in a dr, fosters mag. Thet had a artucle on how to plant the different kinds of root systems,
No I am not feeding the roots what would you recomend. I am hoping to get better light after income tax money comes in I don't think I ready for pressurized co2 yet though so I am going to try for about 2 watts per gallon. If you have any suggestion they will be greatly welcome.

Tess

Back
Top Bottom