Plant ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ayi

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Saw this in a display tank at the lfs today. They got it in a shipment and had no idea what it was.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423968366.434921.jpg
There's also these long stalks with white tips that were pretty close to the surface.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1423968412.539191.jpg

Green tiger lotus?

Sent from my iPad using science

Last edited:
looks similar to a banana plant (Nymphoides aquatica) to me and if it is then they have it planted wrong. since the little "bananas" should be above the substrate.
could also be the closely related Nymphoides hydrophylla
or some other Nymphoides.

I completely forgot to mention:
They crossed banana plant off of the list because there aren't any bananas on it. Although I have heard that that can lose their leaves and still grow great...

Nymphoides_sp_Taiwan_piirros.jpg

Nymphoides hydrophylla 'Taiwan' - Tropica Aquarium Plants

Well it does reselmble the Nymphoides hydrophylla as well

Sometimes the banana plants lose their bananas lol but they will regrow after the lilies are formed I believe. I have one in my tank but haven't seen it's full growth cycle yet but from what I've read is they will shed a bottom leaf after the lily reaches the surface and this will be come a root that sort of goes out sideways and seems like a leaf at first but then goes under the substrate if it can. I assume it does this to gain better footing and retrieve more nutrients from the substrate. could also be an attempt to produce another plant. But I haven't seen the process in person yet.

Either way they should definitely be sure it doesn't have a rhizome somewhere but it could be in the center of it and already above the surface.

Either way it's definitely seems like a low light lily plant and likely easy to grow. So it'll probably be easier to tell exactly what it is after seeing some more growth. looks healthy at the moment.

These other posters are identifying everything around the plant you circled lol

That looks more like it. I'll share my findings with them today;)
Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom