Plant id

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just picked up this red plant from petco. Any idea on what it is?

Attachments

• 1483921280752.jpg
    1483921280752.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 57
Hopefully it was survive in my tank. I don't have pressurized co2. Just liquid and probably medium light

Hopefully it was survive in my tank. I don't have pressurized co2. Just liquid and probably medium light

Most Ludguida is pretty hardy. I've grown plenty without co2, though I've always had the DIY reactor co2 never the liquid. If you want it to stay red like that you'll need iron though.

Floramax has some iron in it but I'm about to order from flourish. Which do you recommend for the iron? Just regular flourish or I see a lot of people use comprehensive

Nevermind. Comprehensive is regular Flourish :face palm:. Do I need to dose Iron with the Comprehensive? Or one or the other?

I also picked up some Alternanthera reineckii. I've been reading and it says even with medium light, liquid co2 and ferts, it's one of the easiest red plants to grow. Can anybody confirm?

I also picked up some Alternanthera reineckii. I've been reading and it says even with medium light, liquid co2 and ferts, it's one of the easiest red plants to grow. Can anybody confirm?

It's not difficult but often will not display a nice red coloration often seen in high tech setups. Does better with more light, but at the same time can be prone to poor or distorted growth due to fertilizer imbalances. Also, the lower, older leaves can become algae magnets while it adjusts to its new environment. That being said, it is still a popular red plant.

Gotcha. I run my lights 10 hours a day so I'm hoping it will stay alive. It's really a beautiful plant. 48 bowfront are just really tall tanks so lighting for them is difficult without a finnex or some other planted led fixture

Gotcha. I run my lights 10 hours a day so I'm hoping it will stay alive. It's really a beautiful plant. 48 bowfront are just really tall tanks so lighting for them is difficult without a finnex or some other planted led fixture

You running fluro's? Have you thought about running some reflectors to get the light up?

I guess then you hit co2 issues [emoji17] can't win with these tanks haha

Haha yeah it seems that way. Right now I have 2 led bars that came with the tank. Single row each of lights. Then I added my old hood from my 20 gallon high to have more light in one of my corners. I have all my more demanded plants on one side so I can get that extra light to them. I believe it's a floramax t8 bulb. 18" bulb I think

Back
Top Bottom