plant leaf turning brown from tipdown

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doogle

Aquarium Advice FINatic
i got a 15w power glo and a t5 no coralife 14wx2 with 6700k and colormax bulbs. all plants were fine except one has a leaf that the tip- started yellowing-brown and moved down the leaf, now its all brown, i started using flourish the week before...

Sounds like an imbalance of some sorts. What are your nitrates? Yellowing of the tips and the leaves being reabsorbed are usually lack of nitrogen. It could also be your phosphates bottomed out. If the whole plant was yellow I would lean more towards iron.

Basically, it could be a lot of things. We need more info about the plant (like rookie said) and what fertilizers (if any) and lights you are using.

it is a long leaf anubias. it has been there a month, then i got the extra t5no, and flourish, it is in low end brackish water(1006) i use a crappy hydrometer cause i dont have my saltwater tank up and running yet. all the rest seem fine with good color, this one has a brown leaf, now. it started at the tip, then was blotchy yellow and quickly browned all the way down.

Salt + plants = not good.

That would be my first guess.

Also, yellowing leaf tips points to a nutrient deficiency, as mentioned above. What kind of flourish are you using? Do you have a nitrate test kit, and if so, what is the nitrate testing at?

go to my profile, click on my albums, choose the 20g mollie planted tank. now look at the second pic the one that is tilted looking, the plant is all the way to the right, you see the tip yellowing in this pic, now its aLL BROWN. just the one leaf .

doogle said:
now its aLL BROWN. just the one leaf .

If it is just one leaf then cut it off. I do this with my swords every so often to encourage new growth. More will grow back!

Now if the whole plant was yellowing I would be more concerned. The new growth can help identify nutrient deficiencies also.

Sent from my Droid using Aquarium Advice app

ya, the brown leaf fell off! its the only one...i got a COUPLE BAGS OF ACTIVE FLORITE ANDSOME OTHER PLANT SUBSTRATE TODAY SO I WILL HAVE MORE MAcro nutrients and iron, and whatnot...

update , plants have been doing great the one yellowing /darkening is growing a couple new shoots or leaves...2x24wt5ho and 2x14no.t5 for subltle morning/evening light(might return n.o. t5 over 20gallon) growing lots of algae everywhere, but i clean it off the glass and plants. got snails introduced though....errr

Back
Top Bottom