Plant Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WestCoast-Kelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello,

I am hoping to get lights for my aquarium that will be strong enough for my plants. I don't mind scrapping the two canopies that I have now, as the tube lights don't seem to be generating enough light to penetrate the water, tannins and all.

Any suggestions where I should start looking, in Canada?

fLpTitE.jpg

Tank Lighting

Hello,

I am hoping to get lights for my aquarium that will be strong enough for my plants. I don't mind scrapping the two canopies that I have now, as the tube lights don't seem to be generating enough light to penetrate the water, tannins and all.

Any suggestions where I should start looking, in Canada?

fLpTitE.jpg

Hello Wes...

The lighting depends on the plants you want to keep. I'm on a pretty strict budget and still want a well planted tank. So, I go with plants that require low to moderate light. Anubias, Java fern, Cryptocoryne, Bananas, Swords, Onions and house plants like Prayer, Pothos, Philodendron and Chinese evergreen will all do well with just a four fixture setup from the hardware store. I use T8, 32 watt, 6500K bulbs and just hang the light above the tank. The cost is roughly $50.00.

B

Thanks a lot, do you have pictures of your set-up?

My secondary goal is to clearly see the fish when I get them :)

~Kelly

Hello Wes...

The lighting depends on the plants you want to keep. I'm on a pretty strict budget and still want a well planted tank. So, I go with plants that require low to moderate light. Anubias, Java fern, Cryptocoryne, Bananas, Swords, Onions and house plants like Prayer, Pothos, Philodendron and Chinese evergreen will all do well with just a four fixture setup from the hardware store. I use T8, 32 watt, 6500K bulbs and just hang the light above the tank. The cost is roughly $50.00.

B

What size is your tank, depth in particular?
Beamswork makes affordable and effective LED fixtures. Not sure if they are available in Canada.

I have a beamswork on from Amazon, it's rated for a planted tank and it's growing my low-medium light plants well, I have it on a tank 19" tall so it's pretty good, and it was only about $26

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom