plant lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legit Fish

Aquarium Advice Freak
can someone tell me what are some good and strong lighting systems that are good for a 20 gallon long because my plants are starting to melt a bit and i would like to have more light in the tank because it is so low. and what are some good planting substrate?

What's your budget? Do you want florescents like t5 or are you thinking LED? What's your short and long term goals?

Can't go wrong with eco complete substrate.

A cheap34 option would be an odyssea T5HO fixture. They're not the highest quality, however on a short tank like a 20l it would be more than sufficient. LED fixtures are rising in popularity but will cost you more. For substrate, Caribsea Floramax is good - it's very similar to EcoComplete, but less expensive.

Here is an odyssea fixture that will work for your tank (will extend to fit a 20 long) Odyssea T5 Aquarium Lighting

Cheap is floramax... that stuff is $10 per 15lbs bag at petsmart... you only need 1 bag or so for your 20g... But don't do what I did... wash that stuff like crazy... its extremely dusty.... my tank has been ashy for like 7 hours now

ok thanks guys and any light would work for me at least it is bright as hell and really makes the high light plants grow like crazy! and the substrate i might go with floramax. can anyone tell me what do i need to do before i had it to the tank? does it leech ammonia? or is it just like eco complete just wash and add ?

You need to rinse flormax thoroughly before
You don't "need" to, I never did, but it does take a little technique if you don't wash it. Also, just for future reference, it was said "just like eco complete just wash and add", with eco complete you specifically DO NOT rinse it, at all.

oh ok thanks i did it because it said just to rinse a bit to get rid of the water conditioner

(New to the forum here, first post!)

I was told not to rinse the Eco-complete, you don't want to wash out all the plant growth nutrients/bacteria that comes in this special substrate... It was cloudy but settled after a day, and a 50% partial water change done next day, (make sure you remove fish and plants if you do this in tank that's up and running)

I'd be curious if anyone can recommend an LED for a 40g with medium to high light for plant growth? Am thinking of upgrading...

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom