plant nursery/grow tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to admit that it isn't easy, but in keepong with everything else in this hobby, patience and education are a requirement. I completed my 55 gallon Plant Nursery project last week. I got most of my plants in, but am still expecting 8-10 others. I usd well water on my initial setup because it is full of nutrients, but was cooler than I expected. i went low tech with clay, soil and gravel. I am waiting on things to settle out, but they will do that in time enough. i won't have any fish in this setup. additionally. I made a CO2 system out of a plastic bottle, yeast, sugar and baking soda. It has proven to be quite effective. CO2 supplementation is the way to go for certain plants. Let me know if i can be of assistance..... Below is a likt to my project so far along with PICs and comments.
Good Luck!!
D
Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - dwayne.aycock's Album: My 55 gallon grow out plant nursery project

Well..
The brown, stringy algae seems to have finally gone away (for the most part), but now Ive got little balls/clumps of a bright green algae growing on the Golden Nesaea. This plant just seems to be a magnet for algae. :banghead:

The Rotala is growing like crazy and Ive had to trim it back from the surface twice since my last post. I wasnt expecting it branch out horizontally along the substrate the way it is. Its giving me new ideas on how to lay out my display tank when the time comes to redo it.

Virturally no growth on the DBTs. I got them as a sort of benchmark plant to see how well the light was reaching the substrate. I guess not well enough for DBTs. :(

The Glossostigma is growing, but upwards instead of across. Im reading they they dont tend to spread out until you start trimming them down, so all is not lost.

Attachments

• Nov7-13.jpg
    Nov7-13.jpg
    257.3 KB · Views: 72
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 63
Nesaea is a slow grower IMO and does often get algae on it. You look like you have Green Beard algae on it. It BBA only green.

Should I try the same Hydrogen Peroxide 3% treatment?
It not nearly as unattractive as the black variety, but I'd still like to be rid of it.

I'd treat it but it's up to you. You spot treat it with Peroxide or liquid carbon the same way you do for all BBA or other algae.

Back
Top Bottom