Plant-Only Tank Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ohsnapitscharity

Aquarium Advice Activist
SKIP TO THE QUESTIONS AT THE BOTTOM OF YOU DONT CARE FOR THE BACKSTORY (sorry about the long post)

Here's the story. I destroyed my (very successful) 5gallon planted tank (mainly destroyed the livestock-3guppies) when I switched them to a 10gallon that I used the wrong silicone on a rock background. My plants are currently suffering so any help is appreciated. My main topic, I removed the filter from the 10 and am putting a whole new filter on the 5. The plants in the 10 are still salvageable at this time.

*Questions:
•Do I have to use water conditioner in a plant only tank?
-I understand how to cycle a tank and to make sure it is fully cycled when I'm going to add livestock. I'm confused when it comes to plant-only, conditioning the water and whether or not it a necessary step.

•If the water in the 10 is what destroyed the tank, if I wash the sand, is it salvageable?

•BONUS! (also least important at the moment) What is a specific brand of silicone that is tank safe that I can get at lowes or home depot. GE Window and Door is NOT available at either of my local stores?
-Please use specifics, a picture of the tube (think brands in the caulk-gun tube size), where it's located, tube color, etc. I've done so much research and just can't seem to get the safe-silicone correct. I refuse to pay the price a "aquarium" silicone just because it states 'aquarium' when other, cheaper, safe silicones are available.

•BONUS 2! (also least important at the moment) What exactly is the easiest way to get silicone off a tank?
I'm eventually going to have to fix this 10 so it doesn't waste away

Thanks for taking the time to read his long-winded post. I am still fairly new to planted tank so if you can't help with the issues I have, any low-light planted tank help is welcome. I'm yearning for some learning!

P.S. This is my first tragedy because of a mistake I made. I will be absolutely 100% sure the silicone (or whatever) is correct so please don't lecture me on how it was a bad idea to not check that the 10 was fish-suitable. I transferred the filter, plants, sand, everything from the 5 to prevent such a tragedy. One-step was missed. I'm using this as a learning opportunity so that some good comes out of it.

Charity

A: If it is plant only with no intention to add fish, then IMO treating the water may not be necessary.
Bonus #1: I have picked up aquarium safe silicone at Lowes but cannot find its listing online. It was much less expensive than what you would find in an lfs. At HD's web site I found this: http://m.homedepot.com/p/DAP-2-8-oz-Silicone-Aquarium-Sealant-00688/100128841/
Bonus #2: A razor blade can be used to remove it.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for your reply! Does anyone know if my sand is salvageable? Contemplating making the 5gallon a dirt substrate and wanting to use the sand I have as I cap. Here's a pic of the 10gallon now. Sadly I just spilled kool-aid in it (don't ask haha) and therefore I'm forced into fixing it now haha. I will continue to update as I get the 5gallon up and running. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1443242629.340688.jpg yes, my camera quality sucks. I'll upload better pics from a different camera next time

Charity

If it was me I would get new sand just as a precaution. I prefer pool filter sand which is sold at places like Loews Home Depot Menards True Value etc. It's quite cheap at those stores. It's also sold at pool stores obviously but I've found its over twice as expensive
If you decide to go with a different color black Diamond blasting sand can also be used and it's cheap too. Pool filter sand doesn't need much if any rinsing. Blasting sand and basic play sand need to be rinsed quite a bit.

As was already mentioned use a razor blade.
Can't say about anything else really. I don't reseal tanks personally. I use tap water for house plants so I can only assume that tap water would work for aquatic plants too. Maybe if you have a high level or chlorine or chloramine in your water the plants would do better if Prime is added.

Low light plants, java fern, anubias, crypts, Windelov fern which is a variety of Java fern, marimo moss balls, java moss.

Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom