Plant people please......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
Got this today when asked for a floating plant thank did not require high tech lighting, ferts etc. It had no label, can anyone identify it so I can read up on it please? :) ThanksImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424440866.060529.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Pretty sure it's Brazilian pennywort. I have it floating in one of my shrimp tanks.

Thank you :) How do u find it? Mine is looking a little wild just floating, maybe not great with my hob filter.....getting pushed about a bit :-/ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424451008.314415.jpg

That makes sense, feels like I'm always doing battle with floating plants and filter output :rolleyes:

I've had very good luck with it though...make give it time to settle in.

Me too! Please let me know if you find a solution. My fish love floating plants....the mess of it being pushed down from the surface really annoys me. I need to get out more ;-)

I use a piece of airline tubing tied to suction cups as a sort of barrier to keep my frogbit in one area of the tank. Repositionable and keeps it out of the HOB flow.

? Diana Lee ?
? the St. Augustine Redhead ?

Ooooh that sounds interesting. Would be able to take pic to give me a visual pls? Sounds like the solution I've been looking for! Thank you :)

One thing I forgot: as much as my shrimp love hanging around in the plant they also like to nibble at it so I frequently find leaves with tiny pin holes :rolleyes:

Ooooh that sounds interesting. Would be able to take pic to give me a visual pls? Sounds like the solution I've been looking for! Thank you :)

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424472666.169156.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1424472705.905770.jpg

I just used low-vis fishing line to tie it off. This way the air stays trapped inside and creates a buoy system. Fully customizable length and whatnot, so you can make it work for any size tank. I just used all black since my background is mostly black...

Good luck!

? Diana Lee ?

View attachment 264903
View attachment 264904

I just used low-vis fishing line to tie it off. This way the air stays trapped inside and creates a buoy system. Fully customizable length and whatnot, so you can make it work for any size tank. I just used all black since my background is mostly black...

Good luck!

? Diana Lee ?

Good job McGuyver! The buoyancy part is very creative.

Love it, thanks for posting pic too!

Good job McGuyver! The buoyancy part is very creative.

Thanks! Took a little while for it to lay right on the water surface, but once it did, it worked well!

Hope it works for your floating plants, OP!

? Diana Lee ?

One thing I forgot: as much as my shrimp love hanging around in the plant they also like to nibble at it so I frequently find leaves with tiny pin holes :rolleyes:

I think shrimp typically do not munch on healthy leaves, instead focusing their efforts more on the periphyton found in the tank. Pinholes in leaves are often a sign of a potassium deficiency however, so perhaps it could be that?

Sent from my iPad using science

Thanks! Took a little while for it to lay right on the water surface, but once it did, it worked well!

Hope it works for your floating plants, OP!

? Diana Lee ?

Been to pet shop to get supplies, got suction cups, connectors and tubing! Going to section off about a third of tank for floaters. Thanks again :)

Been to pet shop to get supplies, got suction cups, connectors and tubing! Going to section off about a third of tank for floaters. Thanks again :)

Glad I could help!! Let me know how it works for you!!

? Diana Lee ?

Back
Top Bottom