Plant planning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KPhilly

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm about to cycle my tank now and wanted to go ahead and begin planning what plants I might want to keep. My lighting is low, but I was thinking of making up for lack of with root tabs, liquid fertilizer, and liquid CO2. My substrate is just sand. My tank is 100 gallons but is a tall one. Any suggestions?

I'm new to plants and not experienced enough to suggest any but I would suggest, if you have the budget, is to look into a new light fixture. Go for at a light to bring you up to at least the medium range. It opens up much more possibilities, plant wise. You won't regret it!!!

You can't make up for low light but liquid carbon will help plant photosynthesis so they can better use the light they get. As for plants you "might" be able to do Jungle Val and either water sprite or wisteria, crypts, anubia, java fern, and bolbitus would all be fine.

I've seen plenty of beautiful low light planted aquariums. As for myself, I am more drawn to the plants at the higher end of the light spectrum. I would look at the plants you like most and then choose your lighting based on them.

But Ian is right, save up and wait to get what you really want or else you will end up wasting money like I am about to with light upgrades :)

I guess I could just save up. I'm no prideful man, and I will need the help of you experienced aquarists. My tank has a custom fixture for T8 bulbs. The lids are built to slide into the fixture then close. I guess I could take all of this off and find a fixture and place it over the top of the aquarium. The top of the aquarium will be exposed though. A hood would have to be custom built and I rather not do all that. I can post pictures later this evening.

My tank is weird though. It's bow front and tall. How exactly do those tops work anyway?

I guess I could just save up. I'm no prideful man, and I will need the help of you experienced aquarists. My tank has a custom fixture for T8 bulbs. The lids are built to slide into the fixture then close. I guess I could take all of this off and find a fixture and place it over the top of the aquarium. The top of the aquarium will be exposed though. A hood would have to be custom built and I rather not do all that. I can post pictures later this evening.
You don't need to have a lid at all. There are many light fixtures you could choose that just sit on top of the tank, without lids(they have legs!). I think tanks look cool without the lid, again just me!!. You could try starting a new thread about the lights, stating you want something in the medium/high light range. Rivercats is the plant Queen around here and has helped many many people new to plants around here, myself included. Brain_Nano, Old Scales are other's, who are brilliant with all things lights, amongst other areas, of course!!. Trust me, you will get all the help you need here. I made the mistake of jumping in feet first and buying a light that I thought would have me in the medium range, I didn't ask the 'pros' here and now regret it. You guy's over there have great light fixtures, at very reasonable prices, so research, pick a few and then get some opinions/advice on them......

My tank is weird though. It's bow front and tall. How exactly do those tops work anyway?
Go without, problem solved...haha

I did not have very good luck with Vals and dosing liquid carbon. It melted them but good

Back
Top Bottom