plant substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Reed with some black. Do you think it would be a good plant substrate?

I have a problem, they only have 2 bags ( think I need 3) and they are discontinueing it. Should I buy it and fill in with normal gravel or should i bag the whole idea?

I was walking around the store and a found another bag :) but it is black. Would it look bad to have red and black mixed?

That is good to hear... I already bought it lol. So I got 3 16 pound bags. Will that even be close to enough?

It is a 40 gallon high tank (36*12

Last edited:
Do I need to remove my fish prior to changing the gravel? The gravel says it is 'pre washed' does that mean I don't need to wash it?

i don't like dumping substrate all over the fish personally, if its easy to get them out then I would.

I would test that 'pre-rinsed' thing by putting it into a bucket and adding water, see how cloudy it is. if it's not too cloudy then it'll be okay, but I wouldn't trust it. The thing about these fired clay substrates is in packaging/handling I think they tend to build up a bit of dust from the pieces rubbing against one another.

would scooping the new substrate up in a cup then reaching in the tank to the bottom then dump it work? I don't like to remove my fish. Should I just scoop out my old gravel with my net?

I am not too worried about the 'live' stuff. I think there is enough BB in my canister filter to tide it over. I am going to listen to the advice and remove the fish/plants.

Back
Top Bottom