Plant suggestions please + should i use co2? - UPDATE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so ive had the DIY CO2 system running for about 3days now. I measured my co2 on the day i set the system up (before it actually started bubbling).
The co2 then measured 3.3ppm. My pH has always been high, about 8 - 8.5, once i even measured 9! My kH is 11dkh.

I have just tested the water again and i got a pH reading of 7.2!! yipee! lol. Im just glad to get it down! kH was the same. And i now have a co2 reading of 20.822ppm! Quite a bit more than before!

Im going to be doing a pwc soon, when y'all do your pwc do you leave water out to stand overnight or do you just add it straight to the tank (after adding prime of course)?
I normally just add it right away, but was wondering if i should be a bit more careful now since ive started using co2 (what with a lower pH, and higher co2 concerntrations), wont the tap water is going to cause more fluctuations now??
TIA

I just do my water change as normal. But thats me. I know a few people that will let it set for a day or two. Then i know people that just add it start to the tank as i do. So I'd say that's your call.

My DIY system seems to be having some trouble today. I decided i needed to modify it a bit. My co2 diffuser cup was too big, so i cut it in half, i also moved it behind some plants so it doesnt stand out so muh.

After doing this i noticed the co2 had stalled, no bubbles were being released. So i gave it a shake, loads of bubbles came out very quickly, but after a few seconds it slowed, and slowed, and slowed, and stopped! Again!

I left it for a while, but nothing really happened. I then thought that maybe it was starting to run out, so i thought there cant be any harm in added the second 2litre bottle to the system (i originally planed to do this about 2 weeks in), so i made the mixture, cut the pipe and added the other bottle via a 'T' joiner. I know this will start to work after 24hours or so, but it still isn't producing any bubbles! (it been like this for a good3-4 hours.)

I thought the mixture would last up to around 2 weeks, but so far it has only been about 4days!

Also im pretty sure is no leak in the system, im just a bit puzzled!

My mixture shouldn't have ran out this soon should it? If it definately shouldn't have, then i guess all it will need is time, and by then my other bottle will probably start.
TIA

Most mixes will last at least 10-14 days, so it's a bit early for it to have died.

I would double check for leaks, especially since you moved things around and modified the diffuser. One of the connections probably came loose while you were doing all of that.

Is you house colder than normal today? This could cause a slow down in CO2 production.

Im pretty certain there are no leaks in the ststem. What happening now is, the co2 is still coming through, but i dont have a steady flow, its coming through in bursts. It will go for ages doing nothing, then a burst of perhaps six or seven bubbles will come through.

This tells me that it is having to build pressure to get through? There is small amounts of water in the pipes, i dont know weather this is causing it, but i cant get it out!

Another thing i thought, i have only got one check valve on the system. I have it like this: 2x 2litre bottles, short section of airline tubeing (approx. 7inches), out of each bottle, then joined by a plastic 'T' joiner, check valve on the single tube that leaves 'T' and goes into the tank.

Would it be better to use two check valves BEFORE the two tubes reach the 'T'? Or doesnt it matter? (sorry, bit of a long winded way of asking!).

Thanks for your help.

Okay, that sounds pretty normal to me. I believe that the steady stream of CO2 is more typical of when the mix is going at full blast and then as it starts to taper you get the kind of behavior that you are describing. It may also have to do with resistance in the diffuser. If an airstone is starting to get a little clogged, it may take a bit more pressure to force the bubbles through.

As far as the placement of the check valve, either should work fine. I prefer having a check valve for each bottle before the T connector. This will maintain the pressure in one bottle and the tubing to the diffuser when changing the mix of the other, and will prevent anything from going from one bottle to the other. Your setup will only maintain pressure in the tubing to the diffuser when changing out the mixture in one of the bottles. Both setups accomplish the primary goal of preventing a back siphon from the tank to the bottles.

Great. I like the idea of using two check valves, like you do, for the reasons you stated, but i only had one valve at the time. I will probably install another one later. I dont use an airstone on my system, but i suppose the same sort of thing can happen.
Thank you for your help!

Back
Top Bottom