Plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All plants require CO2 ;)

I think I have to argue with that statement. Plants need carbon to grow and CO2 is a source of carbon, but plants can get carbon from other sources. Flourish Excel wouldn't work if CO2 was the only source of carbon plants could use.

Other than that, fort's right. Low-light and medium-light tanks don't usually need CO2 injection.

I think I have to argue with that statement. Plants need carbon to grow and CO2 is a source of carbon, but plants can get carbon from other sources. Flourish Excel wouldn't work if CO2 was the only source of carbon plants could use.

Other than that, fort's right. Low-light and medium-light tanks don't usually need CO2 injection.

So Flourish Excel isn't a source of carbon?

BigJim said:

If I add carbon (which I already have ) into my filter it will all be good

Excel is a source of carbon.

Activated carbon in the filter doesn't work as a carbon source for plants. I wish it was that easy.

6CO2 + 6H2O + Energy -> C6H12O6 + 6O2

CO2 is a requirement for plant growth. Even in a non-injected tank, there is CO2 at equilibrium. Photosynthesis does not work without CO2.

Excel is a source of carbon, which can be used by plant cells in building plant tissue. But CO2 is still needed for photosynthesis.

Back
Top Bottom