Plant suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bichir Bro

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys! So recently I've been stockpiling equipment for my coming planted Fluval spec 5. Current equipment:
•Current Sat + pro
•Cobalt 25 watt heater
•fluval 5 gallon
Planned & hopefully coming soon equipment:
•Valken 24oz paintball tank
•Aquatek premium regulator (w/ adaptor) ((and CO2 proof tubing))
•Rhinnox 1000 glass diffuser
•ADA Amazonia substrate
•Drop checker
My question is: what plants do you guys think are right for my tank and set up? The only plants I would really like to have as of now are Blyxa japonica & AR Mini. Other than that I ain't got no clue as to other nifty plants.
The tank will have some Quartz from my yard in it hopefully. As for layout id like to just scatter the rocks around in a nice way and place the (planned) Blyxa on the right side of the tank and AR (planned) somewhere in the middle. The other plants used to fill the empty spaces are undecided and unknown lol. Any help is welcome! Fauna is planned as Boraras brigittae or Dario dario.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'd do a carpeting plant like dwarf baby tears or dwarf hairgrass (e. Parvula). Mid-ground you can do some staurogyne repens or downoi (pogostemon helferi). For small high tech tanks, I also like regular baby tears, Hemianthus micranthemoides.

I'd do a carpeting plant like dwarf baby tears or dwarf hairgrass (e. Parvula). Mid-ground you can do some staurogyne repens or downoi (pogostemon helferi). For small high tech tanks, I also like regular baby tears, Hemianthus micranthemoides.

Hmmmm Interesting i was tossing around some of the grasses, I also really like the repens and downoi, HM looks cool too.
I'll definitely consider those two for the "empty" spaces I have in the planned midground. The HM would look great on the left too tucked away no? I'm drawing up a rough sketch now I'll post it when done...

Here's a VERY rough draft, whatcha think?

And I figured out photobucket!!!!! Yay!!!

Looks good.. congrats on figuring out photobucket.

Yeah, HM is a nice little stem plant. Beautifully bright green with a small leaf structure, so it's great as a mid to background plant in a nano tank. You can trim it and shape it into a nice bush.

Here's when I had it in my 6g.

Looks good.. congrats on figuring out photobucket.

Yeah, HM is a nice little stem plant. Beautifully bright green with a small leaf structure, so it's great as a mid to background plant in a nano tank. You can trim it and shape it into a nice bush.

Here's when I had it in my 6g.

Man that's just what I was goin for! Love it's brightness. Thanks for the help! If anyone else has any suggestions they're welcome!

Love all the plants that Brian suggested but here are a couple more small leafed plants that I like in my high tech nanos:

Ammania sp 'bonsai'
Limnophila mini 'Vietnam'
Bacopa sp 'Japan'
Micrantherum umbrosum 'Monte Carlo'

Monte Carlo is probably one of the easiest high tech carpeting plant out there -- thing grows like a weed once established!

Sent from my iPad using science

Love all the plants that Brian suggested but here are a couple more small leafed plants that I like in my high tech nanos:

Ammania sp 'bonsai'
Limnophila mini 'Vietnam'
Bacopa sp 'Japan'
Micrantherum umbrosum 'Monte Carlo'

Monte Carlo is probably one of the easiest high tech carpeting plant out there -- thing grows like a weed once established!

Interesting, I'll look these guys up! Thanks!

Not sure what your budget is like but many of the mini type bucephalandras are awesome too.

Bucephalandra mini catherine
Bucephalandra pixy
Bucephalandra micrtha
Bucephalandra hyperion

Expensive but they look fantastic in large clumps!

Not sure what your budget is like but many of the mini type bucephalandras are awesome too.

Bucephalandra mini catherine
Bucephalandra pixy
Bucephalandra micrtha
Bucephalandra hyperion

Expensive but they look fantastic in large clumps!

Eh I can't go insane but I'm sure I could scrape up a couple more if the plant really needs it!

Another sketch I did today:

I bought some sweet rocks yesterday (not Quartz), they look sweet but are sorta big so I can only use three. The HM Is planned to be 'elevated' so the repens doesn't upstage it (thanks Fresh!) and do to the removal of the Quartz pieces I had some left over spaces that weren't present before.

Back
Top Bottom