Plant suggestions.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SparKy697

Aquarium Advice Addict
I know I have seen a photo of a members tank with a plant that looks like a giant ludwigia but with long pointed leaves that are crinkled and a bright red. I can't find this picture any place nor can I find this plant on line.

Does anybody have any idea what I am describing?

I'm wanting to get some red colored plants in my tank. I'm also looking for some interesting ground cover ideas.

Any help is appreciated.

hmm... red plants.... one of my favorites it Ludwigia Repens 'Rubin'
Mine was more green in this pic, but it gets very bright pink/red
img_765565_0_eb2fa01d677fb53369eb2a463b46d3aa.jpg

I also like anternathera reineckii seen in this pic
img_765565_1_66f714fa61aac3b20ff6a6e715c5310c.jpg

Tiger lotus' are nice too. This is the green variety, but they come in a red variety
img_765565_2_af656a4a1d9a167e8c7ed1723c3d4412.jpg

This is Ludwigia arcuata, turn more red in higher lighting. this one is new from the LFS
img_765565_3_71e8387df24aaec5c8670f2f3bbdc628.jpg

rotala wallichii is nice too, but is very hard to care for. Very sensitive plant
img_765565_4_1f6a60add6bcf59c637e4020b70aa431.jpg

Well, those are all the red(ish) plants i have. HTH

Alt. Reineckii, Ludwiga Glandulosa come to mind. Perhaps one of those were what you were thinking of. There is a pic in my sig of both. Ludwiga is at the far right (still small) Alt is the bright red one @ the center.

Not the one I was thinking about but I do like it a lot. Is it always red? or is it's color a function of nutrients?

They;ve been red as long as I've had them, The ludwiga for a month or so, the Alt. I got 4 or 5 days ago.. The Alt is growing in green, but the underside is pink/purple (deep colour) and it seems to bleed through to the green side, but most of the picture is of the underside. very nice plant even though it has a lot of water roots.

Other plants include sunset hygro, limn. aromatica and Rotala Walichii (very red, far more then the pic above if it's the picture I think you saw.)

This is good. I was hoping that there were plants that would stay red without having to drop the nitrate to a low level.

Thank you.

Time to go beg on the classified forum :)

Back
Top Bottom