plant tank ???'s

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noobaquarists

Aquarium Advice Freak
what is the best thing to use as a substrate how thick should it be? and if i start from scratch and build a planted aquarium do i need to cycle it if i just have plants in it? and if i decide to add fish after the planted aquarium is thriving and healthy do i need to cycle again?

noobaquarists said:
what is the best thing to use as a substrate how thick should it be? and if i start from scratch and build a planted aquarium do i need to cycle it if i just have plants in it? and if i decide to add fish after the planted aquarium is thriving and healthy do i need to cycle again?

You can add plants you don't need to cycle the tank before putting plants in

noobaquarists said:
if i have a planted tank up and running for a few months and its healthy and thriving and i deciode to slowly add fish to it do i need to cycle then?

Well hopefully in that amount of time it should be cycled, r u addin a filter?

noobaquarists said:
im going tpo have a 80g cannister filter and a submersibal heater in it. what temp should i have it at for plants?

Well you will be cycled in a few months so that should be fine but just make sure by testing your water before you decide to put fish in and I have mine at 26degrees I have hardly Amy fish in my tank I prefer the look of loads if plants with just a few fish

I probably wouldn't recommend dirt to a beginner.

I stand by my opinion on substrates: Any planted tank keep worth his aquarium salt should be able to grow about anything in sand/gravel with root tabs (and water column ferts if needed).

I agree dirt is the way to go I didn't look back, I have it in all my planted tanks and would never make a planted tank without it !! BUT I would also agree I wouldn't recommend it to a beginner but its down to you mate

Sorry to hijack but can someone please explain why you wouldn't recommend dirt to a beginner?

I'd like to know the same thing. I'm guessing it's because of the algae blooms that can happen because of the excess nutrients. I planted my tank (70g) very heavily from the beginning and included floating plants (hornwort) for the first 4-5 months. It was not mineralized. Never had an algae problem.

I don't recommend dirt to beginners because it is a very DIY approach that many (that I've seen) are not really prepared to deal with.

Dirt is messy, and it requires a cap, and the algae thing. Going straight potting soil also has a potential for ammonia spikes while the soil is mineralizing in the tank, so thats one other concern to consider. It's all stuff that can be easily dealt with, but a beginner may not know what they are getting themselves into. It's definitely a lot more involved than just adding ecocomplete to a tank and planting it out.

jetajockey said:
I don't recommend dirt to beginners because it is a very DIY approach that many (that I've seen) are not really prepared to deal with.

Dirt is messy, and it requires a cap, and the algae thing. Going straight potting soil also has a potential for ammonia spikes while the soil is mineralizing in the tank, so thats one other concern to consider. It's all stuff that can be easily dealt with, but a beginner may not know what they are getting themselves into. It's definitely a lot more involved than just adding ecocomplete to a tank and planting it out.

How about saying not recommended without the proper research. I don't see a problem with a beginner giving it a go. (I did!) How else are we suppose to learn. If it's a spectacular disaster, you've learnt yourself a lesson. :D

I don't know, I just think we have different opinions on it, which is fine.

I just know that the dirt route can be a big mess for a beginner, even if they've done their homework. It's not rocket science by any means but I do know some that regretted going that route for various reasons, algae, super dirt clouds anytime something on the bottom moves, digs, etc.

It's definitely an economical and extremely effective method, though.

So to a beginner I'd recommend something simple like ecocomplete, just dump it in, add the clarifier and you are good to go, no dust clouds, no mineralizing period, no potential algae period, no capping, it just seems like a simple and effective route to take when you are just getting into the scene.

I just don't want to be mentioned in the grumblings of a person scooping the muck out of their tank in exchange for something simpler, that's all. :)

Back
Top Bottom