Plant wall/divider question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishman793

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am getting a pair of electric blue rams and a pair of gold rams to go in my 30 gallon planted aquarium. I want to make a kind of wall in the middle so the pairs don't see each other. But I don't know what kind of plant to use for this. The only plants I can think of are amazon swords. Does anyone else have any suggestions for other plants? The tank is a 30 gallon tall so the plants need to be tall.

I am getting a pair of electric blue rams and a pair of gold rams to go in my 30 gallon planted aquarium. I want to make a kind of wall in the middle so the pairs don't see each other. But I don't know what kind of plant to use for this. The only plants I can think of are amazon swords. Does anyone else have any suggestions for other plants? The tank is a 30 gallon tall so the plants need to be tall.

You could use vals. They grow really tall but require a good light

I'm having good luck with spiral crypts. Mine is a 29 tall and they are growing to the top

You could use vals. They grow really tall but require a good light

Jungle val, giant hairgrass, larger swords, etc are all really good but need at least med light. And if you really want to separate the pairs just get a divider. The fish can still swim through the plants.....

Jungle val, giant hairgrass, larger swords, etc are all really good but need at least med light. And if you really want to separate the pairs just get a divider. The fish can still swim through the plants.....

I think he's talking about breaking their line of sight.

OP, maybe try bacopa carolina or maybe some willow hygro? What sort of lighting do you have? A large piece of driftwood supplementing the plants could do the trick too.

I think he's talking about breaking their line of sight.

OP, maybe try bacopa carolina or maybe some willow hygro? What sort of lighting do you have? A large piece of driftwood supplementing the plants could do the trick too.

Ohh ok then that can make a little more sense :).
And bacopa and willow hygro are both also great plants that grow tall.

Just be aware that a 30g tank is very small for 2 pairs of rams. Younger ram pairs will be aggressive to a point but as they mature and age they get very aggressive, especially males and there is a good chance not too far down the road you will have some serious issues. I began with 11 in a 100% planted 220g tank and now keep only 2 older pairs in it. Even with having a ton of plants aggression is still an issue.

I dose ferts and put in root tabs so I think I could handle the swords. I more want to break line of sight. But ill put in enough plants that it would be difficult for the rams to get to the other side.

I agree with the divider thing, that's going to be your best bet, just use plants to cover it up but even a pseudo plant wall is only going to help so much. As far as plants go, amazon swords or some other swords can work, wisteria, water sprite, java moss, cyperus helferi, any number of stem plants, mexican oak leaf.

Back
Top Bottom