planted 20 stocking ideas.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a 20 high tank 2 apistos and 2 kribs wouldn't work. If you like apistos get

2 apistos of your liking
5 Cory's
6 cardinal tetras
6 celestrial pearl danios.
1 killifish

With ur filtration you could probably put in some otos once you get more plants. They're great for eating algae.

Andrew

The apistos I want are the full reds they look awesome but no one around me carries them and the shipping online is rediculous. So I may be back to square one. Unless I get lucky and can find some on aquabid with a cheap shipping cost. If I do find them shouldn't I do 2f:1m or do they not get aggressive during mating.

The apistos I want are the full reds they look awesome but no one around me carries them and the shipping online is rediculous. So I may be back to square one. Unless I get lucky and can find some on aquabid with a cheap shipping cost. If I do find them shouldn't I do 2f:1m or do they not get aggressive during mating.

Not a big fan of trios. They tend to pair off and bully the extra one.

Have you tried asking if any of the stores can order them for you? I know some will do that.

So far one said no they get in what they get in. Another said they just sold out and they can only get them every 6 months the last place said they have been out for awhile now and is not sure when they can get more. I really do want them but if I can't get them then I may go with rams. Since I like the way they spawn and care for there fry. The tanks been running for almost a year now with no issues (as in fungus parasites ich etc) and just about a week ago I put 3 plants and 5 bulbs in it and will be doing more plants around the first.

So far one said no they get in what they get in. Another said they just sold out and they can only get them every 6 months the last place said they have been out for awhile now and is not sure when they can get more. I really do want them but if I can't get them then I may go with rams. Since I like the way they spawn and care for there fry. The tanks been running for almost a year now with no issues (as in fungus parasites ich etc) and just about a week ago I put 3 plants and 5 bulbs in it and will be doing more plants around the first.

Then ur tank should be fine for rams. I would suggest putting them in last when you have the most plants. It keeps the nitrates down for them.

I'm sorry, it sucks when you can't get the fish you really want. I wanted endlers and my lfs told me they would have them in 1-2 weeks, it's now been 2 months and i still don't have them. I thought about ordering online but shipping costs are pretty high. I wish i could help you more. I've heard great things about German blue rams though.

Then ur tank should be fine for rams. I would suggest putting them in last when you have the most plants. It keeps the nitrates down for them.

I do have slightly hard water and a ph of 7.6 but I do use co2 so it brings the ph down to 6.8-7 Im just not sure if I'm personally gentle enough with water changes for rams been doing some reading on them tonight I like them a lot but it seems like there kinda fragile fish. What do you guys think.

I do have slightly hard water and a ph of 7.6 but I do use co2 so it brings the ph down to 6.8-7 Im just not sure if I'm personally gentle enough with water changes for rams been doing some reading on them tonight I like them a lot but it seems like there kinda fragile fish. What do you guys think.

Mine are super hardy. Being in a planted tank helps. Because nitrates stay in check.

I've read that Bolivian rams are pretty hardy fish, German blue rams are more sensitive, and electric blues are even more sensitive, although I've never personally kept any.

What about this
Pair German blue rams or bolivan rams
5 celestial pearl danios
5 rummynose tetras
5 some other small tetra
2 Cory
2 albino Cory

Is that too much or not enough of something

Oh i love the albino corys, i have 6 in my 55 gallon and they're really active and fun to watch and adorable lol :) for your other group of tetras i think cardinals could be good.

What about this
Pair German blue rams or bolivan rams
5 celestial pearl danios
5 rummynose tetras
5 some other small tetra
2 Cory
2 albino Cory

Is that too much or not enough of something

Drop the other 5 small tetras and you should be good. Trust me 10 schooling fish will look like plenty in that tank.

Also with the corys since you're getting 2 different kinds you should make sure they're about the same size so they will shoal together

So I went over the options with my wife its her tank but I do everything that has to do with it it was a Valentine's day present.

A pair of Bolivian rams
5 rummynose tetras
Either 5 cardinal pearl danios or 5 other tetra
2 cories
2 albino cories

The only thing is will the danios and tetras school together I read tetras need groups of 10 to not be too skittish if so I can always do this

Pair bolivians
1 ea on the cories
10 tetras half and half
5 danios

Or

Pair rams
3 ea cories
10 tetras half and half

Sorry if it's been mentioned already but rams can get a little territorial and aggressive when they're breeding. This mainly affects fish that stay near the bottom, such as cories. Just something to keep in mind. In a 20g I'd probably just stick to one ram myself. Also, I might pass on the CPDs. They're quite shy, especially in very low numbers (like 5) and sometimes do better in a species tank or a tank with other nano fish. So it's possible they may spend most of their time hiding. You may want to consider aiming for one species of tetra (such as rummynose) with a larger school.

To give you reference my planted 20g has 9 rummynose, 4 neons (not recommend in that number -- they are leftover from a different tank), 1 GBR, 1 honey gourami, and a handful of random invertebrates.

I would like to see the rams mate what would be a good choice for tankmates mabey 10 rummynose and 10 pearl danios and leave it at that or would that be too many schooling fish

Would this work
1 bolivan ram
1apistogramma
1 dwarf gourami
11 rummynose
4 cories (or something smaller like pygmy cories)
I think she would be very happy with a stock like that
I'm also having the feeling were almost there!

Last edited:
Would this work
1 bolivan ram
1apistogramma
1 dwarf gourami
11 rummynose
4 cories (or something smaller like pygmy cories)
I think she would be very happy with a stock like that
I'm also having the feeling were almost there!

I think that would work! very pretty mix of fish. I just picked up a pair of double red apistos today they were expects huge though I paid $35 each!

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/65790-albums11662-picture54856.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/65790-albums11662-picture54864.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/65790-albums11662-picture54861.html

I personally love panda corys they are very cute and a smaller cory. I have 3 normal pandas and 2 long fin pandas very pretty! I do prefer to have pairs though over one of each but that's just me :)

Back
Top Bottom