Planted 55 gallon Major Frustration

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

UZOTANK

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Alright Forum... Your help is needed.

I have been a planted aquarium hobbyist for 10 years. Up until 2 years ago I havebeen veryr successful growing Val's and ferns. I wanted to step it up two years ago and bought a T5 light with 1 48" 10 K lamp and one 48" 420/460k lamp. Since I have bought this light my Val's have died off and my java ferns are barely alive let alone growing.
I started doing flourish excel this past month and have not noticed any differance. I am ready to rip out and go fake! An suggestions?

55 Gallon
Nitrites 0
Ammonia 0
Nitrates 10
Ph 7.8
Tap water for PWC with water conditioner added

Many people experience melting Vals using Excel. I have heard some say Vals can acclimate to it after a meltdown though.

Sounds like you might have a little too much light for the Java ferns.

Mine have never done well in higher light, but they do okay if I hide them under larger, leafy plants or driftwood, etc.

Just my two cents :)

mudraker said:
Many people experience melting Vals using Excel. I have heard some say Vals can acclimate to it after a meltdown though.

Mine have never done well in higher light, but they do okay if I hide them under larger, leafy plants or driftwood, etc.

Really appreciate your input. I am starting to think it is the high light and am wondering if I should block some of it to see how it does. I would raise the light but my tank is already raised and it would be like looking into a light bulb everytime you went to look at the tank This morning I attached all of the java to a piece of driftwood to get them out of the gravel. And I'm thinking of taking a piece of wood and blocking off some of the light to see what happens over the next week.

image-3175307201.jpg

mudraker said:

As far as the melting Val's. I have heard that but tho Val's died off long ago before I even started using excel.

It's been my experience that the actinic lighting your using isn't beneficial to anything other than algae. And maybe step down from 10000 k to a 6700k bulb.

Also try using Ada products instead of seachem. They're a step above. ( aqua design amano)

It's been my experience that the actinic lighting your using isn't beneficial to anything other than algae. And maybe step down from 10000 k to a 6700k bulb.

Thank you for your feedback. I was thinking I would step down the 10K but I was not sure to what. I just bought replacement bulbs too. For now until I can get to the LFS I am going to block out half the light and see how the plants do.

Back
Top Bottom