Planted & algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikewezel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm new to planted tanks. I planted a 29, made a co2 generator and used fertilizer tabs. The plants are doing exceptionally well, getting bigger and new growth (never expected good results first try). The thing is, in that tank I have an abundance of Algae growth, as compared to my other tanks. I just want to know, is this to be expected due to the co2 and fertilizer, or am I doing something wrong? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks.

Algae growth is generally due to an imbalance of something in the cycle. Whether its co2, ferts, or light. How long are you running your lights daily? What are you doing to fertilize the water column? What lighting do you have? What plants do you have?

Ok I have red ludwigia, Java fern, anubias nana, and small plant that looks like bean sprouts that I can't remember it's name. I used api root tabs per instructions on package. I have a marineland led light that runs 10-12 hours a day. Sorry for Christmas tree light reflection. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387732698.826569.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1387732719.349215.jpg

It really just looks like diatoms to me which are perfectly common and expected in a newer tank. If it really bugs you Nerite snails are great at cleaning diatoms up.

I would absolutely try dropping the lighting period down to about 6 hours daily until the algae clears up. Longer photo periods tend to cause faster growth of algae.

Plants have to use light in real time. It's not possible to make up for less intensity with longer light period. It's much better to give plants more light intensity for a shorter time. Algae can thrive because it can grow in lower light and lower fert levels than plants. You want your plants to go "hyper" quickly thus outcompeting the algae. Even though you're doing DIY CO2, dose some glut to supplement and help fight the algae and get a balanced macro and micro fert dosing in the water started to go with the root tabs.
If your LED is the standard Marineland fixture, you only have low light intensity. Look at additional lighting to add to it. The Red Ludwigia is a med/high to high light plant.
WARNING, if you get a beautiful bunch of plants going, you'll be hooked for sure.
Good luck, OS.

Plants have to use light in real time. It's not possible to make up for less intensity with longer light period. It's much better to give plants more light intensity for a shorter time. Algae can thrive because it can grow in lower light and lower fert levels than plants. You want your plants to go "hyper" quickly thus outcompeting the algae. Even though you're doing DIY CO2, dose some glut to supplement and help fight the algae and get a balanced macro and micro fert dosing in the water started to go with the root tabs.
If your LED is the standard Marineland fixture, you only have low light intensity. Look at additional lighting to add to it. The Red Ludwigia is a med/high to high light plant.
WARNING, if you get a beautiful bunch of plants going, you'll be hooked for sure.
Good luck, OS.

I always left the light on that long with just the fish in there, so I left that the same. First time doing planted, know a lot of nothing about aquatic plants. Any brand recommendation for the ferts?

Good ferts

Mike,
You have a choice of two types of fertilization. You can use premade liquids like Comprehensive and you'll need one that's the micro nutrients and one for the macro nutrients(nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus). The other and a MUCH cheaper way in the long run is Green Leaf Aquarium's Dry ferts. In a 29g(which is what I have too), a $30 fert kit plus 3 1000ml dosing bottles and a gram scale and you're set for about two years. As you learn more about balancing the different macros for your type of plants, you can customize your dosage. I'll attach the link to their site for you. Good luck and welcome to the planted side. Gram scales can be had on Amazon for about $7. OS.
Aquarium Plant Fertilizer | Green Leaf Aquariums

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom