Planted aquarium plants seem very expensive

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fish_lord

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am wanting to do a planted tank in my 150 gallon but the prices of plants seem extreme I got quoted 90 euros for 3 mother Anubis plants anybody help with plants for a freshewater unheated tank and how to get better deals
Thanks in advance

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

I am wanting to do a planted tank in my 150 gallon but the prices of plants seem extreme I got quoted 90 euros for 3 mother Anubis plants anybody help with plants for a freshewater unheated tank and how to get better deals
Thanks in advance

20 gallon fancy goldfish tank
150 gallon koi tank
60 gallon cichlid tank
2 gallon neon tetra tank

I seem to get better deals through online vendors. You could also go to the classifieds section of this forum and get good deals from AA members.

IMO the cost of hardware far exceeds what I've paid for plants.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Most plants are cheap if you go to the right places. Certain stores will over price their stock so try shopping around and checking in with local clubs and forums.

That's because you're going after mother plants. There's months of time that go into growing mother plants and a week for a healthy regular plant. You don't need to buy a ton of plants assuming you have proper equipment and trim / propagate frequently. With some decently quickly growing stem plants you can fill out an aquarium nicely while you're waiting for your slower growing plants to come in.

Take my old 55g for example:

7 / 25
JrhIa2G.jpg

8/9 (about $20 in plants added)
jLdkmze.jpg

9/23 (no new plants added since last pic)
BBjp0VH.jpg

We can give some suggestions on quick growing plants, but need a little more info.

What light level is your tank?
What fish?
Are you gonna use ferts?
Any carbon supplementation?

I used eBay auctions for most of my plants. Plenty of users on here give great deals and often throw in extras though. Stop looking for the mother plant, most of our plants came from clippings of a mother plants, with some time and effort it grows into a mother plant itself in time.

Plants are really the least of your worries. Fertilizers and co2(if you do co2) will be the expensive portion of this tank. I would look at dry fertilizers if you don't want to drop a ton on liquid ones every few months.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom