Planted aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquasamurai

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi I have a 17 gallon tank and I plan on transforming my current tank into a planted aquarium. I have been reading numerous articles and forums about this but I wanted some of your advice before i step into this. I have a few newbie questions, like... I use a hydro sand, does it have sufficient nutrients for the plants to start off with? Also Im thinking about adding a layer of sand on top of the hydro sand for hopefully a good visual effect, is it dumb? I recently bought huge rocks so I preferably want a plant that grows around it...well all over pretty much, like a "sheet of green plants". What should I get? I read an article that said I don't necessarily need a Co2 but if I want "pretty green" all over my tank, should I get it?

Thanks in advance for your help!

First off what lighting do you have and what type bulbs? Lighting will determine what type plants you can grow. Also I'm not familiar with Hydro sand so can't help you there. But can tell you all sand is inert and if you plant any thing like crypts or swords you will have to use root tabs. You don't necessarily need CO2 in a tank but depending on the type plants used liquid carbon such as Flouish Excel will help plant growth alot. You will also need at least a liquid fert such as Flourish Comprehensive to use weekly.

I have a 24x12x14 tank with a 6x3W HO LED light. I use a filter by VersaMAX, model FZN-3.
Hydro sand is made in Japan and its suppose to be suitable for planted aquarium.

I'm terrible about LED lighting so don't know if that is considered high-med-low lighting? Since that sand is for planted tanks I wouldn't add anything on it.

You don't have to start out with alot of plants if you don't want to. Add them at a pace your comfortable with. The type of plant it sounds like your wanting for creeping and spreading would be something like Dwarf Baby Tears although it won't spread on rocks very easily if at all. But IMO you need other plants. Here's a link with a ton of different types of tanks that could maybe give you a better idea of what you like.... Your Tanks - Browsing.

Back
Top Bottom