Planted lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sunnystang

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I started a 29g biocube 5 months ago. I originally started by just throwing in some sand and substrate and then some plants. I didnt realize that the actinic and the 10,000k light are more set up for saltwater. My lighting times where also very speratic, some days a few hours and others lots of hours. I also never added any bottom feeders until a month ago. The algae growth was crazy, it was everywhere. So I added a bristle nose, 3 Cory cats, and a spotted pindella. Then I quit using the actinic lights and put the 10,000k on a timer for 8hrs a day. Also I've been cleaning a lot. I checked my water and it had high phosphates so I added a filter that would reduce these. I'm thinking the 10,000k only isn't enough of a spectrum, what other bulb should I add. And are there any other tricks to the trade? I've had aquariums for about 30yrs but this is my 1st attempt at planted.

Well, I have kept many planted tanks at 10,000K but it isn't necessarily optimal. The lower color temps have more peaks in red, which plants need. More important here is wattage: What kind of bulb is it and how many watts?

The important thing with planted tanks is keeping nutrients balanced. I wouldn't necessarily use a phosphate remover (assuming granular ferric oxide) in a planted tank as plants uptake phosphorus from PO4, so it is important in some concentration in your tank. However, too much can cause algae. What was it testing at?

What are your nitrates testing at?

How are the plants doing? Are they growing? Stunted? Have any holes in the leaves? What kind of algae does the tank have?

Are you adding any fertilizers?

Take a look at this article, if you are unfamiliar with fert requirements. It might help you gain an understanding of the macro and micro nutrients plants need.
Introduction to Fertilizing the Planted Tank - Aquarium Advice

Have you considered CO2 injection or carbon supplementation?

I believe your biocube situation is very much like my 12g nano cube. It also came with 50/50 PC lighting 2x24w as this tank was designed for SW. I'm not sure what the biocube runs, but i believe they're high powered PC lights like mine, meant to grow coral. I ran this tank as a total newb thinking the bluish hue from the actinic bulb was cool. I had insane algae too. I finally swapped the bulbs to 1x 10,000k and 1x 6,500k. I also added a DIY co2 system knowing i have high lighting. After making those changes with the addition of a planted substrate (eco complete), comprehensive fertilizers, and fast growing stem plants to make good use of the "high" light and nutrients- my algae problem went away.

Oh one more thing, the water pump in the filter compartment on the nano cube was way too strong with no flow control. My fish were constantly fighting the current. I also swapped that out and it made the world of difference. Not sure if the biocube has a similar issue?

Back
Top Bottom