Planted or not Planted...ahhhh!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BfishLpond78

Aquarium Advice FINatic
OK, so i've been going back an fourth on whether I should use real plants or fake. My set up. 55gal 48L x 20H x 12W, penguin bio-wheel 350, Marineland LED lighted hood, gravel, 4 tetras, 2 pictus cats, and 2 cory cats (spotted and albino). As far as decorations go, when its all set up and my items are in it will be, natural slate rock formation that i created, Malaysian driftwood (boiled and currently soaking in bucket) and when it comes in one of the Airo Volcanos with the LED and bubbles.

Now, I've read that when you have bubblers that you need to introduce more CO2 into the tank cause you're adding more O2, what is needed to do that?

What are some good plants, i've seen some that actual begin to look like a green blanket or mossy type when they grow...??? Can you use plants in the general gravel that you get from the LPS or do you need certain types?

Is it too much for a novice to handle?

I'd be worried about the lighting. If I understood that right, you just have the regular hoods that use LED's, not an 'aftermarket' fixture?

That is correct, the one that came with it? No good i am assuming?

I wouldn't say no good.... but I'm not sure that it would be enough lights to sustain plants. Those aren't very powerful lights. What you could do is try some really low light stuff like java moss, java fern, and anubias first. If it starts to look really good and grow well, you could try some others.

+1 You can grow plants under LEDs, but, for most plants, you need more powerful LEDs than the little 5mm diodes that come with the hood.

Do fake plants and keep the lights. I think LEDs give off way better lighting anyways. And you can find some really realistic looking plants. Oh yea, and I have the same tank and I've got fake plants. And it looks great!

Nothing compares to the real thing IMO. But with your lighting, it could be a real challenge unless you upgrade.

It depends on your budget and your particular goals (low light low maintenance, high light, etc)

A two-bulb 48" T8 shop light is a pretty cost-effective way to upgrade your light. You could do a very nice low-light tank with a shop light.

I have been reading on Java Moss, i really like the look of it, I heard it likes low light, and i'll have the driftwood and i think it would look nice if the moss could over over some of the driftwood. What do you think i would need?

Thank you, im looking for a moss that grows like you thick carpet and is a bright green. Is that java moss? I see pictures online i just want to be sure...

java moss is a darker green... riccia is a more light green. but, there's also flame moss, christmas moss, and a few others. I think they all have a different shade.

Here's the link he'd meant to post:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/aquarium-fish-supplies.cfm?c=768&count=53&s=ts

Other plants to check are Anacharis, Java fern and Wisteria. I had these and others growing (not great growth, not dying) in my 37g tall when my lighting was 17w/6700K, that's about .5w per gallon. I also had foil as a background to help reflect/redirect light and I can't say it help, but the tank looked brighter with it on.

Also check out plantgeek.net, they have a great format to pick plants suited for different tanks/lighting.

Ok, i've been doing some looking around and I see all these different lighting options and everyone talks about 5000k up to like 20000k but none of the companies give me a specification how much "k" is put out. I mean i'm looking for something that will provide a good light and the blue lunar moonlight option. I don't mind spending the money. What would i need for low to medium planted tank?

The K numbers are the Kelvin Color Temperature measurement. It's not nearly as important as the wattage of the lights.

For a 55g, 50-100W of 6500K fluorescent light will give you enough light for low to medium plants. Like I suggested before, a two-bulb 48" T8 shop light with a pair of daylight spectrum 40W bulbs would be a pretty cheap effective light.

Back
Top Bottom