Planted powerheads.. On or off at night?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you have CO2 you want to run them at night to keep the surface agitation moving to remove excess CO2. If you don't have CO2 then you can run them 24/7.

If you have CO2 you want to run them at night to keep the surface agitation moving to remove excess CO2. If you don't have CO2 then you can run them 24/7.

I have a HOB that creates surface agitation at night so i turn my powerhead off at night. Is this ok??

That's fine but honestly I would just let it run all the time if you don't have CO2.

If you have CO2 and an HOB filter you may already be losing a lot of CO2 if it's cascading into the tank or causing too much surface agitation. Using CO2 and an HOB can be tricky. I would run the PH at night for sure.

If you have CO2 and an HOB filter you may already be losing a lot of CO2 if it's cascading into the tank or causing too much surface agitation. Using CO2 and an HOB can be tricky. I would run the PH at night for sure.

Ok thanks Rivercats

I run mine blowing across the top of my tank, aimed above my diffuser to keep the C02 moving under water. It's on the timer with lights and solenoid plug so it cuts off when the C02 does. I run two AquaClear 50's and a ZooMed 511 Canister Filter so lots of agitation at night to disperse carbon, keep water oxygenated.
I probably do lose a bit of C02 having 2 HOB's running during lights on, but my plants are still growing like crazy, and my Fish are happy/healthy, so I can deal with losing a few bucks in C02!

Back
Top Bottom