Planted substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Printerhands

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I'm about to set up my planted aquarium and I wanted to put in Eco complete planted aquarium substrate in but also about 10lbs of larger gravel in it. Although the package says I shouldn't, I still would like to. Should I obey or does it really matter?

So I'm about to set up my planted aquarium and I wanted to put in Eco complete planted aquarium substrate in but also about 10lbs of larger gravel in it. Although the package says I shouldn't, I still would like to. Should I obey or does it really matter?

I was going to do the same. I also used Eco Complete and I'm also new to the planted side. I was told by a few that I could use the same eco complete and just use the different sizes. But opted to use all one size.

TBH, I don't really see the harm in doing that. If you just layered the larger gravel on top of the Eco then it should all be fine...I mean the smaller pieces would sink anyways. Personally though I don't like the look of mixed or layered substrates, I like the two-tone thing though. But IMO it should be fine.

I agree. They probably just want you to buy more of their product than anything. You could put the gravel on bottom and cap with eco; whichever. Hope it works out for you.

Back
Top Bottom