Planted tank advice for 20 gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ematthews

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I am looking for ideas as to what plants I should get for my 20 gal tank. All I have is the light that came with my hood. I also don't have any CO2 and I plan on having a pretty full tank. So with all things considered are there any plants that would do well with these conditions? If not, what should I get to make my tank suitable? So far some plants that interest me are the Java fern, Java moss, Amazon sword, and some of the anubias plants.

If your using the stock light that came with the tank you've got pretty low light. About all you could keep would be anubia, java ferns, bolbitus, and crypts. Your pretty limited. If you want to upgrade your lighting you would have a much larger variety of plants to choose from. But also with higher light you would need to use decent ferts and liquid carbon would be very beneficial. If you get any crypts you will need to get some root tabs for them as they are heavy root feeders.

If your using the stock light that came with the tank you've got pretty low light. About all you could keep would be anubia, java ferns, bolbitus, and crypts. Your pretty limited. If you want to upgrade your lighting you would have a much larger variety of plants to choose from. But also with higher light you would need to use decent ferts and liquid carbon would be very beneficial. If you get any crypts you will need to get some root tabs for them as they are heavy root feeders.

So those plants that you listed would do fine in my tank as is? No Co2 or fertilizer (that is, unless I upgrade my light)?

They will grow very very slow but adding a little Flourish Comprehensive liquid fertilizer once weekly after your WC wouldn't hurt. Plus root tabs if you get any crypts. Otherwise that's all you'd need.

They will grow very very slow but adding a little Flourish Comprehensive liquid fertilizer once weekly after your WC wouldn't hurt. Plus root tabs if you get any crypts. Otherwise that's all you'd need.

Can you think of any type of moss that would do well in these conditions? I would like to put some on a rock structure.

With your lighting and the fact you have a 20 which is taller than a 20L many of them would work but I don't agree with all of them.

Back
Top Bottom