Planted Tank Advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkseid76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Okay so ive been a member of this forum since I got back into the hobby. I've learned a ton from reading threads and online research. But as we know all tanks are different and require different approaches. Therefore i decided to come and get some tips and advice, even criticism.

Okay for starters I'm well prepared. I have all my tank parameters and PICTURES! lol I mean who doesn't love pictures??

04-19-13

pH 7.4
ammonia 0 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 20 ppm
kH 4 degrees
GH 6 degrees

04-26-13

pH 7.4
ammonia 0-.25 ppm
nitrite 0 ppm
nitrate 5-10 ppm
kH 4 degrees
GH ?

How I reached my results? I use API testing kits. For pH I test both regular test( 7.6 ) and high range test ( 7.4 ), so i use high range results.
In the case of the other tests I record what I think is the accurate result ( on the color chart ) and then get a second opinion. As for the results this week the ammonia seemed slightly elevated but not enough to match the .25 result on the chart. Also the same for the nitrate result. I totally botched the GH test because I forgot to set aside water for it lol. As for measuring kH I got a pale yellow on the 3rd drop and a more definitive yellow on the 4th drop so went with that result. Anyone who is familiar with the API testing kits will understand me, so forgive me anyone else who doesnt.

Now for the pics:

image-2480824552.jpg

image-1253574103.jpg

image-4147159581.jpg

image-4203732408.jpg

This is my water sprite raft! Ive had this plant since i started my tank. Ive sold off tons of it and have really just let it do what it wants now. I posted views of its emersed leaves which some are displaying an odd coloring. Maybe someone can advise me on that? It started growing emersed by accident. I also added a side view of the raft. If youre lucky you might spot some newborn sword fry hiding in it. Water level is low due to pwc.

image-2933183112.jpg

As you can see I broke the glass so the sprite started growing through it.

image-633032514.jpg

This is my Rangeri Sword. It has been doing great and adding a new leaf every week. My only issue is some leaves break off from the crown and because I don't know how to propagate the plant I just stuck them into the substrate to see if they'll take root. Some of the leaves have slight discolorations also.

image-296808818.jpg

My dwarf sag purchased from a member here. No new growth but I think its settled in now.

image-2217106777.jpg

image-1687066167.jpg

My anubias nana also purchased from an AA member. The bare rhizome (dont mind the shrimp lol) looks like it has 2 tiny green nubs, so I think it might sprout( fingers crossed ). The other 2 rhizomes already sprouted a new leaf apiece. Im hoping it attaches to the rock and runs its roots downward into the substrate. Thats the goal anyway.

image-2977849829.jpg

Finally I have 2 pieces of dw laced in Java Moss. I dont know about anyone else but mines grows at a good rate. I also bought the moss from an AA member.

So my feeding regimen: Substrate is 60lbs of Eco-Complete. Ferts are Seachem Flourish Tabs( pic attached, all ten inserted ), Seachem Comprehensive 1 capful twice a week. Seachem Excel 1 capful every other day ( I was dosing daily but Im trying to propagate some Corkscrew Vals ).

image-1058590011.jpg

Lighting is basic unfortunately. Two bulbs that Im using in a standard Aqueon Lighting fixture that came with the tank.

image-3926681605.jpg

Okay guys/gals, tell me what you think!!

Attachments

• image-4256826749.jpg
    image-4256826749.jpg
    132.1 KB · Views: 123
Thanks Andrew I'm still learning. This is my first go round rearing live plants seriously and I'm trying to get a good understanding.

As requested:

image-812577164.jpg

I just finished doing a pwc. Cleaned the glass of algae and film and cleaned out my filter. I had way too much decomposing organic matter in there which is probably why my ammonia is slightly raised.

This weeks results: 05/03/13

pH 7.4 using high range test
ammonia 0-.25 ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10-20 ppm
KH 4 degrees
GH 7 degrees

Looks nice and clean. Is your plant raft contained to a certain area of the tank or is it free floating(drifting )?

Looks nice and clean. Is your plant raft contained to a certain area of the tank or is it free floating(drifting )?

The raft is free floating. To be honest it just kind of happened lol

The outflow from the filter keeps it where I want it.

Attachments

• image-2471620352.jpg
    image-2471620352.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 127
I had some floating hornwort that ended up being a mess! I was removing handfuls of it weekly because of the rapid growth it covered the entire water surface. Finially I just removed all of it. And I'm much happier. If you have fish that snack on plants and can keep it in check then it might not be so bad. What size is your tank? And have you thought of a stock list yet?

I had some floating hornwort that ended up being a mess! I was removing handfuls of it weekly because of the rapid growth it covered the entire water surface. Finially I just removed all of it. And I'm much happier. If you have fish that snack on plants and can keep it in check then it might not be so bad. What size is your tank? And have you thought of a stock list yet?

The sprite isn't a problem. I just sell plantlets off when they become too many.

My tank is 55 gal and I have primarily swordtails( green variety ). I'm currently trying to sell them off and go with something different. I also have 3 cories, 2 emerald and 1 julii, 1 gold dust molly and RCS. Also 2 sunset platies that need new homes. They're brothers but have started to pick on each other.

The sprite isn't a problem. I just sell plantlets off when they become too many.

My tank is 55 gal and I have primarily swordtails( green variety ). I'm currently trying to sell them off and go with something different. I also have 3 cories, 2 emerald and 1 julii, 1 gold dust molly and RCS. Also 2 sunset platies that need new homes. They're brothers but have started to pick on each other.

I've some water sprite as well and it's pretty. Started off with 3 stalks but only one got established. After I redid the tank that it was in, most of it burned off, it was like a little jungle but neatly kept, it's starting to come in again and it's the greenest I've ever seen it.'thumb'

Tomorrow is my maintenance day.

I've been thinking I need to dose more iron. Pet stores in my area don't carry any Seachem products for some odd reason, so I'll have to order.

Anyways I needed opinion on either going with API Leaf Zone or Seachem Trace Iron?

Or should I give the dry ferts method a shot?

Tomorrow is my maintenance day.

I've been thinking I need to dose more iron. Pet stores in my area don't carry any Seachem products for some odd reason, so I'll have to order.

Anyways I needed opinion on either going with API Leaf Zone or Seachem Trace Iron?

Or should I give the dry ferts method a shot?

Never tried the dry ferts myself.

Never tried the dry ferts myself.

That's up to you. I use this from GLA.

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/micro-macro-fertilizers.html

Along with 3 dosing bottles from them as well.

I will be starting iron but going with this, reason is it will help bring the reds out more. I keep my phosphates at 2.0ppm and niyrAtes at 10ppm

http://greenleafaquariums.com/aquarium-fertilizers-supplements/iron-chelate.html

I also dose this (liquid carbon) everyday

Page not found | Metrex

I think I might give the dry ferts method a try. But I'll exhaust my current supplies first.

In the meantime, how important is having a phosphate test?

On a funny note I did my pwc, some trimming, light vac, glass cleaning and completely forgot to test my water. *facepalm*

I think I might give the dry ferts method a try. But I'll exhaust my current supplies first.

In the meantime, how important is having a phosphate test?

On a funny note I did my pwc, some trimming, light vac, glass cleaning and completely forgot to test my water. *facepalm*

Like I said I'm still new. About 3 weeks in on my 27 gallon planted cube but... Phosphate test kit is important, I run phosphates at 2.0ppm your gonna want to test your nitrAtes also....

That is funny. Your gonna want your parameter members prior to your water change to see what's using what and where your levels are. That will give an indication on how much you should be dosing everything at. It will take a while to level things out so just be patient. I think that's it....

Last edited:
OK so i did some more research and I found some great info on another forum. Apparently I'm probably lacking in the macro nutrient and iron catergories. As I stated I have been using Flourish Comprehensive which was stated as being decent but only as far as providing micro nutrients.

So if i were to stick to the Seachem line I would have to purchase 4 different bottles to cover all the macros ( NPK ) and iron. So obviously it would get pricy.

So I'm definitely going to go the dry fert route. While some of my plants are doing great with my current regimen and lighting, some of my plants are definitely struggling.

image-2496231464.jpg

This pic was taken on Saturday. This anubias rhizome is definitely showing some buds. At the same time another rhizome im trying to attach to a rock just sprouted another leaf this week. Its also seems to have its roots starting to creep over the rock. Hopefully in a few months its got a good enough foothold that i can finally remove the floss holding it down.

Ok did my weekly pwc and here the numbers. 5-18-13

HRpH: 7.4
Ammonia: 0-.25 ppm
NO2 0 ppm
NO3 10-20 ppm
kH 3 degrees
GH 6 degrees

Trimmed some more sprite, scraped glass, discovered a pond snail( think it died though ), added some more ludwigia repens for color.
My Brazilian Pennywort is starting to send out shoots finally. I just let it float for now. I also have some plant projects I'm working on. If they take off I will gladly share the story!

So this week I'm happy to announce that my anubias has gotten a good grip on the rock decor and are doing very well! In fact one of them is working on its 2nd leaf this week.

Both my Rangeri threw up a new leaf apiece. The plant on the higher light side has been throwing up huge leaves. I'm desperate to switch to the pps-pro fert system and buy better lighting but its just not in my budget :sad face:

Here's the Rangeri. The leaf in the middle, which is slightly greener than the others, just grew this past week.

image-2937846762.jpg

Here's the anubias

image-1973187644.jpg

image-1839372802.jpg

Also this week I got slightly elevated ammonia again. I cleaned out the Aqueon last week so decided to check the AC50.

image-3589820130.jpg

image-3173421102.jpg

Ok so I guess it needed a cleaning lol

Hopefully next week my ammonia will be a nice definite yellow (0 ppm).

Dark, dry ferts (from what I'm told) are great for your rooted plants. Your wisteria won't gain anything from the tabs though. They need liquid ferts as they are not imbedded into the substrate. I have a 10 gallon planted with Moneywort, Red Wendtii, and Dwarf Amazon Sword Grass. I and currently using up my liquid ferts and then moving to dry. I wouldn't worry about iron as much as you think. Any kinda of plant that gives a red coloring will need Fe ferts. For plants without coloring, the iron in tap water from most WTP's use Feric Chloride to clean the water and your water will have a good amount of iron with just trace dosings. Just trying to give you more info so you don't spend too much money of ferts as they do get costly.
Oh, as I'm using the liquid, I found that injecting them directly into the substrate is working wonders for me. I dose trace and iron once a week and CO2 5 out of 7 days (actually I double dose the beneficial CO2)

Back
Top Bottom