planted tank and pwc

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vero

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have an established tank with plastic plants. I'm tired of the plastic plants and I'm starting to do my research to move to a planted tank. Yes, it would have been simpler to have a planted tank right from the start because now I have to change the substrate (I want to go for eco-complete), lightning, think of CO2, etc. But that's ok, it will be a good project. By the way, the stickies at the top are really useful!

I have a silly question: how do you do a gravel vac when you have a planted tank?

Right now, when I vac, I pretty much uproot the fake plants I have and I remove the rock and piece of wood (I wouldn't be able to do that if I attached plants to it, right?) so I can clean underneath (yes, it pretty much means I move everything around once a week).

Thanks
Vero

With a planted tank you only gravel vac the areas that aren't planted and just lightly hover over the areas that are to get the excess gunk. The rest will work it's way into the substrate and provide nutrients for you plants.

Just like Purrbox says. If you plant heavy enough with Eco complete you shouldn't have to vacum at all. Eco complete converts the waste into usable nutrients that your plants can use much faster than most substrates. A live planted tank is alot of fun and is totally addicting. It is well worth the effort.

So basically, gravel vac is not required in a planted tank (except in the areas that are not planted). Cool.

I thought the substrate would have to be moved around to avoid pockets of bad gases to form. Is that also a problem in planted tanks? If so, would it be better to add some beasties (shrimps or snails, I don't know what else) to do the job?

Thanks
Vero

Plant roots will prevent hydrogen sulfide from forming. Or you can use MTS. Not as effective in eco as in sand though.

Thanks for your replies.

Is there a minimum/maximum 'thickness' of substrate (eco-complete) that I should put in? I suppose that if there is not enough the roots won't be happy and if there is too much there will be more chances of having pockets of gases.

vero

When you vacum with a planted tank, just hold the vacum down as close as you can get to the bottom on the plants and you can see the vacum working with all the debris that goes up the nozel. I have 90% Seachem Flourite and I swirl the vacum around so that the debris that is sitting on top of the subtrate becomes loose and goes right up the nozel of the vacum. The rest, as other have stated, will be used by the plants.

It is a lot of fun though, it can be very addicting!

Also, when using eco complete, it comes in a bag with liquid in it. That's why it's so heavy. You just put the eco into the tank, level it out, then add the water slowly, as it will get murky. It will be murky for a couple days, but then should clear up. I wouldn't recommend running your filter til it's fairly clear. I'm in that stage right now, placing my caves, driftwood, etc. It got to where I couldn't see anything, so I emptyed the tank again, then completed my placement, and filled back up. Now to wait again for the water to clear. I also am running a powerhead with a water polishing attachment to hopefully help in the clearing process.

Hi,

Since the eco-complete is not to be rinsed and makes the water murky (I saw some pics), and also considering that the filter should not run right after putting the substrate in the tank, I guess it would be a really bad idea to make the change of substrate while my fish are in the tank. I saw that it was possible to change the substrate on an established tank with its inhabitants in, but I guess this is not possible when using ecocomplete. Right?

I'll have to find a place for my fish to stay while I do the change. I only have a 2-3 gals tank at the moment... way too small for my 17 fish!

vero

p.s.: this is why forums are great... you always find something that you hadn't thought about.

That is correct. Eco Complete does make it very cloudy. Put your hand in the tank water and you can't see it, lol. Took a day and a half for mine to settle. I also used a powerhead with a water polishing filter attachment to help.

Here's my tank right after adding eco complete, then filling with water.

t_75g12_102.jpg

Here's my tank 2 days later...

75g24.jpg

Back
Top Bottom