Planted tank conversion, where do I start?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScottVinVA

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 26gal. bow front tank with a pea gravel substrate and some good flat rocks. I also had some plants. However I saw a planted tank at a lfs (fins and feathers in Broadlands (Ashburn, VA) and LOVED it.

I have 2 10 gal tanks that are empty. I thought, if I clean them out, move over as much water as possible and split my fish down to those tanks I can empty out my current tank, pull all the gravel out and rocks and put down flourite.

Would I need to recycle, or could I just move my fish and water from my 2 10's back with some fresh water to top it off and hope it stays stable?

I have not decided which plants to put in. Should I wait and put those in before moving my fish back and do it all together?

Any other suggestions?

Scott

You might consider getting Eco-Complete rather than Flourite. It's less mess, and I like the look of a black substrate. Just something to consider, but both are good choices.

Putting the same water back into your 26g isn't really necessary, but might be helpful. I wouldn't stress about it. The most important part would be that you keep the filter media alive through this transition so that you can hopefully avoid a cycle. Just use your established media to seed other filters and keep all 3 tanks as happy as possible during the change. I might even wait a few days after you set up the 26 again to see if there is a mini-cycle.

You can get your fish back into their home before adding plants. It would be good to let them adjust to their 'new' home asap.

Deciding on plants will have a lot to do with what type of lighting you currently have and how much you are willing to spend... :)

Back
Top Bottom