planted tank fish stocking ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lovecatfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys, I have a cycled 2ft long planted tank. Iam wondering what fish could I put in there, the filtration turns over 9Times the volume. I have a sandy substrate, with random rocks scattered around. The filter is a internal filter mechanical and biological and chemical with activated carbon a little bit of zeolite. Peat is readily available here. I have live plants so Buenos Aires tetras are not options right? I was thinking of 2kuhli loach, 3 oto cats, 4 Cory cats. That's a lot of bottom feeders and catfish. I would like some decently sized mid dwelling fish, hope I can get some ideas from you guys :) thanks in advance!

How many gallons is the tank? You could do Neon, Cardinal, Rummynose, Kerri, or Lemon tetras plus Purple or regular Harlequin Rasboras. Threadfin Rainbowfish are another good option.

Okay thanks. I decided on a school of rummy nose 8, 6Cory, just need a solitary fish to strike a balance, would a ram do? Or a rainbow fish

Okay cool. Thanks for the advice guys. I'll set up the tank and update when it's done thanks!

The problem with Rams is they are territorial about the bottom of the tank and may attack the Cories, depending on floor space.

I don't understand why people insist on a "centerpiece" fish. My group of Cories was my centerpiece LOL
Along with a lovely plant and a nice piece of Driftwood.

Aren't they peaceful chiclids? No? I read they are peaceful.

Sent from my LG-P880 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Aren't they peaceful chiclids? No? I read they are peaceful.

They're not 'aggressive' like many other cichlid species are. Prefer to think of them as "Overly grumpy" in the "Get off my lawn" kind of way, at least when it comes to their own plot of land. I don't think one in a tank would be a problem.

That being said, I think that a 15g tank may be a wee bit small for either rummies (due to their size and activity level) or rams IME, though I would say my case is borderline at best.

Oh... so Iam theoretically overstocked? What would be a good substitute for rummy, u don't want neons

I wouldn't say you're overstocked per se... It's more that some of the fish you're looking at are on the edge of needing bigger tanks. I would prefer to see a ram or rummies go into a 20g+ (especially if it's a 20g long), but if you're dead set on rams and rummies then I would say charge onward. Catch my drift?

Someone will probably disagree with me, and it's a perfectly valid opinion, which is why I called it 'borderline' in my first post. It's a thoroughly gray zone as I see it. I can't confidently say yes or no to the stocking because of it.

Oh... so Iam theoretically overstocked? What would be a good substitute for rummy, u don't want neons

How about cardinal tetras? They are nicer looking than neons IMO.

Okay. Thanks for your opinion. What would be a good substitute for rummies?

Cardinal tetra's are alittle less active IMO, at least in my tanks they are. But honestly my Rummynose aren't that active compared to many other types of tetra's I have.

As for a single Bolivian ram it should be okay but remember you are going to have a lot more "low" tank activity with cories and a ram so maybe consider a Honey or Sunset Honey gourami instead of a ram. You could also do a Dwarf gourami but IMO they aren't as hardy as Honey's.

I have a low activity tank already. A heavily planted puffer, goby, oto tank. I can't even see them most of the time, I love that. I don't like how gouramis look like ahah. Okay thanks. Rams with rummy it is.

Back
Top Bottom