Planted tank fishless cycle???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedFlame

Aquarium Advice Activist
Alright so I have a few questions, I've read just about every thread that has been created and it seems that the overall answer to ... Is my take really cycling already, seems to be... it depends on various circumstances.

25g bow front semi-planted tank, started the process on 11/05/11, the schedule of tests are below.

So here's my testing thus far...

Test date PH Ammo Trites Trates Temp Action
11/05/11 7.6 4ppm 2ppm 5ppm 75 (Start dosed 4ppm)
11/07/11 2ppm 80 Dosed 2ppm ammo
11/09/11 7.6 4ppm 5ppm+ 5ppm 80
11/12/11 7.6 1.5ppm 5ppm+ 5ppm 80 Dosed 3ppm ammo

11/12/11 Added 6 chain swords, anubias, java and riccia covered rocks and taiwan moss to driftwood.

11/13/11 1.5ppm 82 Dosed 3ppm ammo
11/14/11 0ppm 82 Dosed 4ppm ammo
11/14/11 7.6 4ppm 5ppm+ 5ppm 80
11/15/11 .25ppm 5ppm+ 10ppm 80 Dosed 4ppm ammo
11/15/11 4ppm (checked later that night)
11/16/11 .25ppm

So here's where I am currently, what do I do now, do I keep bringing it back to 4ppm or what's the next step. I'm kind of lost as I haven't seen the huge jumps in Trites or Trates.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Attachments

• SANY0147.jpg
    SANY0147.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 81
I think you're looking good! Ammonia seems to be dropping to 0 or close-to within 24 hours of dosing ammonia and nitrites are rising. I wouldn't worry about nitrates; your plants are probably using them. Also the test can be easy to get wrong if you dont' do it exactly as it states in the pamphlet. I also suggest shaking both bottles for 30 seconds and tapping bottle #2 on a hard surface as there is a reagent powder in the bottle that can get clumped and cause different readings, but again I wouldn't worry about nitrates too much.

At this point you do want to keep dosing ammonia once in 24 hours if it drops. You're waiting for your nitrites to fall to 0 on their own (the nitrite phase can be the longer of the phases so just be patient). Also keep an eye on PH; if it starts to drop, do a larger water change. Good luck!

plants can take in ammonia & nitrates, so you cannot go by the standard spikes ....

Your cycle is ready when you add 4 ppm of ammonia & it disappears completely in 24 hrs, with no sign of nitrites. You are well on your way by the numbers.

Thanks for all the tips everyone I really appreciate it.

So today I did my tests and my ammo was down to .25 again and my trites were 0 and my trates were 5ppm. I'm going to keep it going until the full 4ppm cycles to 0 just to make sure. This is my first foray into shrimp keeping and I want to make sure the tank is perfect for my future RCS's.

Thanks again.

Thanks for all the tips everyone I really appreciate it.

So today I did my tests and my ammo was down to .25 again and my trites were 0 and my trates were 5ppm. I'm going to keep it going until the full 4ppm cycles to 0 just to make sure. This is my first foray into shrimp keeping and I want to make sure the tank is perfect for my future RCS's.

Thanks again.

It might be 0. The ammonia test can be difficult to tell between 0 and .25. To be sure, you could test some spring water and compare it to your ammonia tank test; if they're the same color, the tank is 0 ammonia. Also dosing to 4 is designed to be overkill so even if the tank can convert from 4 to .25 and not quite 0 I'd say that's good enough as long as nitrites stay at 0. To be sure you could dose a few more days, though. Good luck!

RedFlame said:
Alright so I have a few questions, I've read just about every thread that has been created and it seems that the overall answer to ... Is my take really cycling already, seems to be... it depends on various circumstances.

25g bow front semi-planted tank, started the process on 11/05/11, the schedule of tests are below.

So here's my testing thus far...

Test date PH Ammo Trites Trates Temp Action
11/05/11 7.6 4ppm 2ppm 5ppm 75 (Start dosed 4ppm)
11/07/11 2ppm 80 Dosed 2ppm ammo
11/09/11 7.6 4ppm 5ppm+ 5ppm 80
11/12/11 7.6 1.5ppm 5ppm+ 5ppm 80 Dosed 3ppm ammo

11/12/11 Added 6 chain swords, anubias, java and riccia covered rocks and taiwan moss to driftwood.

11/13/11 1.5ppm 82 Dosed 3ppm ammo
11/14/11 0ppm 82 Dosed 4ppm ammo
11/14/11 7.6 4ppm 5ppm+ 5ppm 80
11/15/11 .25ppm 5ppm+ 10ppm 80 Dosed 4ppm ammo
11/15/11 4ppm (checked later that night)
11/16/11 .25ppm

So here's where I am currently, what do I do now, do I keep bringing it back to 4ppm or what's the next step. I'm kind of lost as I haven't seen the huge jumps in Trites or Trates.

Any advice or direction is greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone.

What do you have growing on your centerpiece? Looks great!!

RedFlame said:
Thank you : ), it's a piece of driftwood covered (eventually) in Taiwan moss I'm going for the tree look.

Well great job! I am trying to eventually get to that look but it's hard to find what I need especially as a noobie :p

After what seemed liked waiting for years my tank has finally completed its cycle. I tested my params thanksgiving day and trites were gone and trates were up to 40ppm, did my water change and everything going well, thanks for the advice everyone.

After what seemed liked waiting for years my tank has finally completed its cycle. I tested my params thanksgiving day and trites were gone and trates were up to 40ppm, did my water change and everything going well, thanks for the advice everyone.

Congrats! Pics of your fish when you get them. :D

Nice deal. Congrats!

I think mine is about finished up too. I am doing the final 24hr test now and will know this afternoon. A bit more deco work to finish, and I'll be hunting down my new fish.

(y)

Back
Top Bottom