Fishless Tank Cycle Stalled?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kbar3563

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey y’all! I’ve been cycling a new 20 gal long since 10/31.
My PH sits at 6 from the tap sadly so I know cycling will be harder. I’m using an aqua clear HOB filter, Dr. Tim’s Ammonia, and Seed. I have normal sand, a little bit of fluorite gravel, and some driftwood in the tank, with one dying plant. Here are my recordings:

10/31
•Ammonia: 4ppm
•Nitrite: 0ppm
•Nitrate: 0ppm

11/1
•Ammonia: 4ppm
•Nitrite: .05ppm
•Nitrate: ?

11/2
•Ammonia: 3-4ppm
•Nitrite: .25ppm
•Nitrate: 10ppm

11/3
•Ammonia: 2-3ppm
•Nitrite: 1ppm
•Nitrate: 15-20ppm
(Later in day)
•Ammonia: 2ppm
•Nitrite: 1-2ppm
•Nitrate: 30ppm

11/4
•Nitrite: 2ppm
•Nitrate: 40ppm
(Later in day)
•Nitrite: 2-5ppm
•Nitrate: 40-80ppm

11/6
•Ammonia: .25-.5ppm
•Nitrite: 2-5ppm
•Nitrate: 80ish ppm(>)
(Redosed by unknown amount, accidental big squeeze of ammonia)

11/7
•Ammonia: 1ppm
•Nitrite: 1ppm
•Nitrate: 80ish ppm(<)

11/8
•Nitrite: .25ppm
•Nitrate: 80ish ppm

11/10
•Nitrate: 80ppm

11/11
•Nitrate: 80ppm

I redosed the ammonia tonight, but why has it not moved past that last 1ppm ammonia after fully breaking down the initial ammonia and nitrite?

Is the seed you mention Dr Tims one + only or a similar bottled bacteria product?

What might have happened is that the bottled bacteria didnt establish on your filter media. It worked from the water column for a few days, and so it looked like your cycle progressed. But as it didnt establish on your filter media it died off and your cycle appeared to have stalled.

I see this kind of thing regularly, and thats my theory on whats happening.

I don’t have the bottle on me right now, but I believe it is Seed by Aquavitro. Do you think it would be better to go with Dr Tim’s One and Only? What’s the best way to help it grow in the filter and the items in the tank?

Ive never heard of aquavitro seed, but looking online its a similar product to dr tims one + only.

Personally ive had best success with one + only, but all these products are pretty much hit and miss. Dr Tim is the person behind Tetra Safestart which was the first of these products and One + Only is supposedly a development of safestart. Whether thats a positive?

Optimum temperature for a fishless cycle is 28c/82.5f. So bumping the temperature might help.

The best way to speed up your cycle process is to introduce some filter media from an established filter into your filter. Perhaps you have a friend who keeps fish who could let you have some?

Ah! Okay the temp is sitting at about 80 rn so I’ll bump that up. I’ll give it another week or so, and if its still stalled, I’ll get some One and Only. Sadly I’m the only person I know doing freshwater so I can’t ask anyone for seeded media, but I can check my local aquatics stores.

Back
Top Bottom