planted tank lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kwandrsn

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just started a 20 gallon planted tank about a month ago. The woman at petco talked me into buying live plants instead of plastic. all the plants seem to be doing ok except one that kinda looks like blades of grass. It keeps losing its leaves. The aquarium came with a aqueon full spectrum 15w T8 18" bulb. She sold me Florapride. I used regular aquarium gravel for substrate. Is there somewhere I can buy plants and can anyone suggest plants that would do good in my tank or supplies I need ect. She sold me 4 different plants one she said was an Anubis? It grew real quick I had to cut it back. She told me to pull it up and cut below the roots that was starting and replant the top part. Was this correct.
Thanks

I just started a 20 gallon planted tank about a month ago. The woman at petco talked me into buying live plants instead of plastic. all the plants seem to be doing ok except one that kinda looks like blades of grass. It keeps losing its leaves. The aquarium came with a aqueon full spectrum 15w T8 18" bulb. She sold me Florapride. I used regular aquarium gravel for substrate. Is there somewhere I can buy plants and can anyone suggest plants that would do good in my tank or supplies I need ect. She sold me 4 different plants one she said was an Anubis? It grew real quick I had to cut it back. She told me to pull it up and cut below the roots that was starting and replant the top part. Was this correct.
Thanks

You don't even need a special gravel or sand.. I'm not familiar with the Anubis but I do know some plants that can be kept in low lighting with no problem... These are a java fern which I've had mine with no problem it just looks normal like a regular plant.... A java moss is a really good plant also and if you want a different look you can wra java moss around decorations etc.petsmart usually has a good variety of plants but at petsmart don't get fooled when the plants are on Clarence that means they are starting to rot away and won't be as good quality... You don't need any supplies unless you get a plant that is very hard to keep then you need fertilizer etc....

That's pretty much what she told me. About the low light. She told me that anything colorful will need brighter light. The grass looking thing cost.
2.99 and the Anubis plants cost 2.99 and I bought 2 they grew real fast but the lower parts didn't look as healthy as the top parts.maybe lighting issue. Then I bought one in a small pot that made 2 plants and they are doing great. Then I paid 9.99 for a plant on a big piece of wood. I would like to know what the plants I have are.

That's pretty much what she told me. About the low light. She told me that anything colorful will need brighter light. The grass looking thing cost.
2.99 and the Anubis plants cost 2.99 and I bought 2 they grew real fast but the lower parts didn't look as healthy as the top parts.maybe lighting issue. Then I bought one in a small pot that made 2 plants and they are doing great. Then I paid 9.99 for a plant on a big piece of wood. I would like to know what the plants I have are.

If your tank is deeper than you would need a stronger light to make the ottom parts of the plant more healthy cuz the light access isn't as strong once you get deeper in the tank.

They may have sold you some mondo grass or something similar and it's not fully aquatic so maybe that's why you're having issues with it. If you're willing to spend about $40 you can get a dual t5 light at petsmart/petco and it would grow most plants. Anubias, and java fern would do just fine in the light you have though, just dose some fertilizers and liquid carbon

Can you post pictures of all your plants? That would help

So it's water wisteria, then argentine sword, then anubias, I don't know about the grass though. Everything should do great if you get a bulb in the right spectrum like a plant growth bulb you don't really need a whole lot

My aquarium came with a aqueon full spectrum 15w t8 18" bulb. Someone in another post said the grass is not supposed to be in an aquarium lol. Thanks petco.

Is there a way to find out what type of anubias mine is. I just don't want to order plants online and end up with the same thing ya know.

Is there a way to find out what type of anubias mine is. I just don't want to order plants online and end up with the same thing ya know.

It should be labeled as anubias sp. I strongly recomend live plants, they do great things to your water chemistry and take the hobby to a whole new level. I started out with all fake plants and now I don't have a single fake. I'm hooked

Any other suggestions for plans that I won't have to upgrade lighting and what not.

I posted a link to dual T5 standard output light fixture for less than $35 on your other thread.

I have been using a similar single bulb for a while and only growing java moss, water lettuce l, and cambomba (barely). I threw another light on top to fill in until the new light arrives.

I have deleted all of the posts regarding IDing your plants. You have an entire different thread devoted to that, so you don't need to get into that on this one.

Another lighting question. Is there a small light I can use to view my fish through out the night. I have albino corys and albino bristle noses I would like to see at night but I don't want to bother under other fish. I have a normal hood and light I'm just looking for something to attach to the side or back of the tank. Or is this not a good idea thanks

Another lighting question. Is there a small light I can use to view my fish through out the night. I have albino corys and albino bristle noses I would like to see at night but I don't want to bother under other fish. I have a normal hood and light I'm just looking for something to attach to the side or back of the tank. Or is this not a good idea thanks

Truelumen makes 3bulb LEDs in blue that look great as moonlights, they have an adhesive strip so you can put it into your current fixture or wherever you want, and its pretty cheap, $9 for the led strip and $9 for the cord. They separate the LEDs and the cord because their interchangeable and you can have up to three things plugged into the cord. Here's a pic

Attachments

• image-3350056432.jpg
    image-3350056432.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 56
I got mine from petsolutions.com. Marineland also has a light that has white LEDs and blue lights for moonlights, and you're able to switch between the two. I have it on my 55g. I'll get pictures of that in the morning, my 55g lights are on timers haha. I think it cost like $36 or something and I got it from petsmart

Back
Top Bottom