planted tank lights vs leds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

glenn77

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am in the process of setting up a 125g planted tank. My question has anybody had sucess with led lights? I'm am thinking about 2 36" marineland double bright or reef lights. I understand the benifits of t-5 lights I also know of all the disadvantages, running cost and bulb replacement.

Med to high. I think the tank is 24" deep.

If u want med to high you would need the reef lights most likely the double bright is for med light plants with what reasurch I found. I was going to purchase double brights but went with t5 very happy with my choice.

I have been thinking about this a lot. I found out my 55 g is low light. It has 2 t8 lights. And that is not what i want to the new tank. I went to the marineland web site and they are comming out with a light for planted tanks the first half of this year. If that's not out by the time I'm ready I was going to get the double bright and run 2 t5 bulbs for about 6 hrs. Hoping this will be enough light

Glenn,

I'm attaching a recent photo of my 55 gallon with the Marineland Double-brights to give you a feel for what it might look like. My plants are doing well, but these are all low to moderate light plants. I can't say the LEDs are super bright, but the cost of the reef light was ridiculous...just this double bright hood cost me $255 which I thought was kind of high. It does look nice though, and the moonlight effect is fun to switch on at night.

Keep us posted on what you decide on..I'm interested to hear about the Marineland plant LED hood...I do like the LEDs and I hope the technology continues to improve in brightnesss.

Attachments

• aquaria (4 of 6).jpg
    aquaria (4 of 6).jpg
    223.8 KB · Views: 109
It's going to be awile. Before I set up the new tank. I don't know what I'm going to do about the lights yet. I just replaced the t8 lights on my 55 which were $38. And the cost of electric to run them. But I want a high light tank. We will see.

ahelmes71 said:
Glenn,

I'm attaching a recent photo of my 55 gallon with the Marineland Double-brights to give you a feel for what it might look like. My plants are doing well, but these are all low to moderate light plants. I can't say the LEDs are super bright, but the cost of the reef light was ridiculous...just this double bright hood cost me $255 which I thought was kind of high. It does look nice though, and the moonlight effect is fun to switch on at night.

Keep us posted on what you decide on..I'm interested to hear about the Marineland plant LED hood...I do like the LEDs and I hope the technology continues to improve in brightnesss.

The photo makes them seem pretty bright I like the look of them.

Back
Top Bottom