Planted tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

XboxBetta

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys hope everyone has a great day!

So I finally upgraded my Betta's sad 1.5 gallon tank to a 6 gallon Fluval Edge & he loves it =]
There's even enough space that I got a few live aquatic plants for him.

I have some liquid plant fertilizer that I put in a little bit of twice a week. Most of the plants seem to be doing fine & growing except for my Amazon Sword. The 2 leaves in particular are turning dark green/brown & they climb to the top of the water where they sit under the aquarium light that i habe on for 7 hrs a day. I do 25% water changes every 1 or 2 weeks max. Water temp stays between 76-80°.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

I'm unsure of the question?

Likely algae growing on the sword leaves from being too close to the light.

Amazon swords can grow well over 24" , I would scrap that plant and stick to smaller species for a 6 gallon ;)

Ahh ok thank you! Dang I really liked my Swords =[
I really only shop at petsmart for my plants... is there a better location in the states or an online shop i should order from?

Ahh ok thank you! Dang I really liked my Swords =[
I really only shop at petsmart for my plants... is there a better location in the states or an online shop i should order from?

One of my favorite places to get plants is right here on aquarium advice. A lot of friendly people with very healthy plants for very reasonable prices. There are a few reputable dealers online like Dustin's fish tanks or aquarium co-op. I tend to try and stay away from large online stores like live aquaria as I've seen very mixed reviews about them and I also like to get from other hobbyist that seem to put more time and love into their plants.

There are a few reputable dealers online like Dustin's fish tanks or aquarium co-op.

I second aquarium co op. Good prices and great plants. I've had no problem with them and all my plants came from them along with their in house fertilizer.

Your Tank

Hey guys hope everyone has a great day!

So I finally upgraded my Betta's sad 1.5 gallon tank to a 6 gallon Fluval Edge & he loves it =]
There's even enough space that I got a few live aquatic plants for him.

I have some liquid plant fertilizer that I put in a little bit of twice a week. Most of the plants seem to be doing fine & growing except for my Amazon Sword. The 2 leaves in particular are turning dark green/brown & they climb to the top of the water where they sit under the aquarium light that i habe on for 7 hrs a day. I do 25% water changes every 1 or 2 weeks max. Water temp stays between 76-80°.

What am I missing?

Thank you!

Hello X...

Weekly 25 percent water changes aren't nearly enough for a small tank. Even with one fish, the minerals are lost to the filtration process in a few days and old tank water doesn't hold oxygen as well as new. You should be removing and replacing half every week. The plants need the minerals and oxygen as much as the fish. Gradually work up to the point you change half the water weekly. The plants and fish will respond with improved health. The tank water may be a bit warm for plants. A good temperature is a steady 75 degrees.

B

From my knowledge, when swords have a leaf die it will not grow that leaf back. So for your brown leaves cut it off as low as you can, the plant has given up on that leaf.

If you just put that sword in there then its not uncommon for it to drop a few leaves. The lighting on the fluval is more than enough for the sword (I have it). If the plant is sitting up at the top of the water turning brown it is not from the LED "burning" the plant. LEDs dont produce enough heat to burn plants in most situations, thats one of the benefits of LEDs.

Yes most swords will get very big, tha amazon sword is one of the biggest, but I feel you wanting some swords. Look into micros swords as suggested (though they look more like grass), or one of my favorites is the melon swords, Rosette (can get it at petsmart), compacta, or queen.
I have amazon, melon, rosettes, compactas; the melon and rose dont get nearly as large and have great looks. My personal favorite sword is the melon, it has a nice red hint to it.

Loose-Radican-Marble-Queen-Sword-Plant.jpg

Marble queen- https://www.azgardens.com/product/loose-radican-marble-queen-sword-plant/

The-Melon-Red-Sword-Freshwater-Aquarium-Plant.jpg

Melon- https://www.azgardens.com/product/melon-sword-melon-red-sword-echinodorus-x-barthii-loose/

Compacta-Amazon-Sword-Aquarium-Plant.jpg

Compacta-https://www.azgardens.com/product/compacta-amazon-sword-echinodorus-bleheri-compacta/

Most, if not all swords (and other plants) will require frequent trimming in a tank that small. Buy what you want, learn how to take care of it and how to prune it, be happy.

From my knowledge, when swords have a leaf die it will not grow that leaf back. So for your brown leaves cut it off as low as you can, the plant has given up on that leaf.

If you just put that sword in there then its not uncommon for it to drop a few leaves. The lighting on the fluval is more than enough for the sword (I have it). If the plant is sitting up at the top of the water turning brown it is not from the LED "burning" the plant. LEDs dont produce enough heat to burn plants in most situations, thats one of the benefits of LEDs.

Yes most swords will get very big, tha amazon sword is one of the biggest, but I feel you wanting some swords. Look into micros swords as suggested (though they look more like grass), or one of my favorites is the melon swords, Rosette (can get it at petsmart), compacta, or queen.
I have amazon, melon, rosettes, compactas; the melon and rose dont get nearly as large and have great looks. My personal favorite sword is the melon, it has a nice red hint to it.

Loose-Radican-Marble-Queen-Sword-Plant.jpg

Marble queen- https://www.azgardens.com/product/loose-radican-marble-queen-sword-plant/

The-Melon-Red-Sword-Freshwater-Aquarium-Plant.jpg

Melon- https://www.azgardens.com/product/melon-sword-melon-red-sword-echinodorus-x-barthii-loose/

Compacta-Amazon-Sword-Aquarium-Plant.jpg

Compacta-https://www.azgardens.com/product/compacta-amazon-sword-echinodorus-bleheri-compacta/

Most, if not all swords (and other plants) will require frequent trimming in a tank that small. Buy what you want, learn how to take care of it and how to prune it, be happy.

Loki,

How tall do those micro Swords get?

CMOS

There are several species of microsword but most will grow anywhere between 3-8" with a few going a little above that.

Back
Top Bottom