Planted tank/Sick Fish...HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear ya... Meds should only be used when absolutely necessary and besides, the absolute best medicine to prevent most illnesses in the first place is large regular water changes... :)

Yeah,
I do regular water changes and monitor the quality of the water as well. However, I just think this was due due to buying a bad fish and it infecting the rest of the tank. I live and I learn. I am glad this happened in a way though cause I see FEW articles online about what to do in such a situation. I am SURE i am not the first person with a planted tank and sick fish, however, I don't find many articles dealing with these issues so specifically.
The med brochures talk about not destroying biofilter, however, it doesn't mention it's sensitivity to plants or other live creatures(ie crabs, frogs, etc.) in one's tank.
Interesting huh?
As for my tank, I am usinig both Melafix and Maracyn. So far, the fish are ok. No dead one's and the sick one's look better. I just get a little freaked out adding so many chemicals to my tank. I can't wait to do the big water change on Sat(the last day of treatment).
The plants look ok as well so far.
Bondstreet

Good deal Bondstreet!

I'm really glad things are working out for you on this. as for the one fish you lost, it happens to everyone.

Another thing I'd like to add, You have come a LOOONG way sisnce you started coming here, and that's great! You've done your homework, and have made a ton of progress.

I hereby donate 50 kudos to you for sticking with it and putting your new-found knowledge into action!

Hey there...
So far so good. On the 3rd day of meds and the fish seem ok. The sick sword is much better. He is swimming around and there is no fungus around his mouth anymore, however, the fungus that was on it ate away half of his mouth. Yuck. But he looks much better.
Plants look good as well. The new Carboplus is doin it's job it looks like. I am just a little worried, cause I got the meds in the tank, and I am concerned about stressing the fish out with the ever-so-slight pH change with the new added CO2 from the Carboplus. Just beginner's paranoia. The tank is cloudy as well, which is from the meds I am guessing. I can't WAIT to do a freakin water change soon!(Best not to do one during treatment I read - any thoughts?)
Bondstreet....

Nope, you are right on the money. Do the water chnge after the meds cycle is complete.

Not sure about swords, or mouth parts, but my angels with fungus/fin and tail rot grew their tails back really fast, 1-2 weeks. hope your sword does the same.

Never used a carboplus, any pearling from your plants yet? (pearling= bubles coming off the plants, means they are photosynthesizing like crazy) Sorry if you knew that already, just wasn't sure.

Hey again,

Yeah I saw some pearling already, but it actually? I saw it when I installed the new lighting fixture a few weeks ago. My plants are lookin great. I can't wait for all this medical treatment to be done with so I can get to changing the cloudy water in my tank and prune my plants. The water onions are sooooo big now.

ANyways, so far the treatment is doing it's job, however, my tank is cloudy. I just hope that doesn't stress out the fish or mess up the plants. Crossing fingers. So far, s'ok.

BTW, now my female sword I think had her babies, but they must've been eaten by the rest of the fish overnight. She now swims listlessly. I hope that this is the last of the sick fish!!!! URGH....

But all the others are doing well thank God....

Thanks for your help...
Bondstreet

Well, did you get a mental picture of the way she looked last night, I know you never can tell, but you will have a better chance at knowing when to put her in a breeding net.

I AM DONE MEDICATING! Thank God!

Well, I am done medicating and have done a 80% water change, put back the charcoal for a week and so far? Looks great...whew!

Yeah, I lost a couple of fish(who weren't gonna make it anyway), but I also nursed my sword back to health which is cool cause he is unusually large and I wanted him to survive. ;)

Also, my plants! They all survived. Not only that, but they continued to grow(well I might add) in the medicated tank! I now conclude, "MARACYN DOES NOT KILL LIVE PLANTS". Neither does Melafix(but that everyone already knew). It was scary treating a whole planted tank, but it can be done. Just got to be careful. And monitor the tank regularly.

Here is another bit of suprising, but I feel will be really helpful, information. I noticed that Maracyn tends to cloud up the water a little bit. HOWEVER, Melafix clears that! Seriously. It was awesome cause I was worried the cloudiness was gonna affect the plants, and create more problems, but Melafix really gets rid of the murkiness. It was a suprise to me cause it says no where that this happens.

ANYWAY, thanks for all the help guys. I think this was a great learning experience for me and hopefully is helpful to anyone with a planted tank.

Bondstreet

PS - I swear by Carboplus. My plants are pearlizing like mad. I am growing Cabomba which are normally extremely sensitive and hard plants to grow. The back of my tank is a Cabomba wall and it looks great.

Back
Top Bottom